Added Yellow Blaster Sodium Bromide to my pool, now I’m worried.

ghreak

Jul 26, 2015
Lake Elsinore, CA
I just added about 8oz of this stuff, Sodium Bromide, 99% to my chlorine pool. Recommended by a pool store. I fell for it and put it in my pool. Now I’m worried that my pool is going to be a bromine pool.

Is there any way to tell how much bromine I added to my pool if I added 8 oz of this stuff? Do We know what the bromine bank will be?

I have a vinyl pool, 7600 gallons,

FC is currently 20
CYA is 50
Ph 8.0
TA 100
CH 100

Last edited:
It will create about 6ppm bromine. Your going to notice some increased FC loss during the daytime hours as bromine can not be stabilized against UV loss and the chlorine you add will constantly regenerate bromine. Eventually the bromine will oxidize to bromate (BrO3-) and it will no longer consume chlorine but it’s going to take a while. So just stay on top of your FC and keep it at the appropriate levels for your CYA.

Or do some heavy drains and refills to flush out the bromide.

It will create about 6ppm bromine. Your going to notice some increased FC loss during the daytime hours as bromine can not be stabilized against UV loss and the chlorine you add will constantly regenerate bromine. Eventually the bromine will oxidize to bromate (BrO3-) and it will no longer consume chlorine but it’s going to take a while. So just stay on top of your FC and keep it at the appropriate levels for your CYA.

Or do some heavy drains and refills to flush out the bromide.
Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.