added to much alkalinity increaser

Nov 11, 2013
Pocasset, Oklahoma
Good Evening all- hoping for some help and guidance on a mistake I made while balancing chemicals today. I leave my pool open year round here in OK and just add some shock occasionally during the winter so we can use the attached hottub. Our pool is a vinyl liner salt water pool at around 20,000 gallons or so. Pool season is upon us so I used my TFP test kit to see where my numbers were and to adjust. Initial readings today were- FC .5, CC 2, TC 2.5, Calcium- barely read if any at all, TA 100, CYA 35, PH 8.2. Pretty typical for not being managed all winter. I added 2 bags of salt (salt was 2000ppm) and I accidently purchased Clorox Alkalinity increaser and added 16 pounds. I intended to increase my CYA but obviously purchased the wrong product. I also had added 1.25 gallons of muratic acid to combat the higher PH #'s and then went ahead and added the remaining .75 gallon of muratic acid after realizing my mistake. The label on the increaser says it will increase about 55ppm per 8lbs of product per 10,000 gallons of water. Essentially I think I increased the TA to around 155 or so. I still intend to get the correct product to increase the CYA to the 70-80 target but don't know if I should wait to get this TA down first and how to do it. Any help on this would be incredibly appreciated. We have a pool party scheduled for my wife's b-day on Memorial Day weekend and I am definitely concerned this might've messed that up. Thank you all

Last edited:
16 ounces of Baking Soda (the ingredient in that expensive bag of pool Alkalinity UP you bought) only raised your TA by about 3.6ppm, and your pH by 0.01.

Have you seen the feature on PoolMath which tells you exactly what each chem will give you when you enter the amount.

Are you going to SLAM the pool to clear it up? SLAM Process

Maddie :flower:

Test pH every day to other day and reduce it to 7.4. That will consume the alkalinity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.