*Added pictures after SLAM complete* New member of TFP

Re: New member of TFP

Copy that on the swimsuit kimkats, thanks! I haven't actually gotten in yet though either.
Here is my progress so far (been keeping it logged):

6/4/15 Test Results @ 1300
Approximately 24,000 gallons.
FC - 4.5
CC - 1
TC - 5.5
pH - 7.8
CH - 225
TA - 90
CYA - 60
Removed floater with chlorine tabs/pucks.

6/4/15 @ 1915
Started pump/filter system. Added 52oz. muriatic acid to drop pH from 7.8 to a target of 7.2.

6/4/15 @ 2000
Retest pH. pH down to 7.2 (target).
SLAM pool with 5 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine to reach target FC of 24 from 4.
Brushed pool and spa.

6/4/15 @ 2115
Retested FC.
FC - 28

6/4/15 @ 2230
Retested FC and CC.
FC - 27.5
CC - 1
TC - 28.5

6/4/15 @ 2335
Back washed filter. Added water to pool.

6/4/15 @ 2355
Water shut off.

6/5/15 @ 0040
Retested FC.
FC - 26.5

6/5/15 @ 0200
Retested FC and CC.
FC - 26
CC - 1
TC - 27
Added approximately 61oz. of 10% liquid chlorine to raise FC to a target of 28.

6/5/15 @ 0650
Retested FC and CC.
FC - 23
CC - 0.5
TC - 23.5
Added approximately 123oz. (128oz.) of 10% liquid chlorine to raise FC to a target of 27.

6/5/15 @ 1015
Brushed pool and spa.

6/5/15 @ 1110
Retested FC and CC.
FC - 24
CC - 0.5
TC - 24.5

6/5/15 @ 1245
Retested FC and CC.
FC - 25.5
CC - 1
TC - 26.5
Added 77oz. of 10% liquid chlorine to raise FC to a target of 28.

6/5/15 @ 2215
Retested FC and CC.
FC - 22.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 23
Added 46oz. of 10% liquid chlorine to raise FC to a target of 24. Will retest FC in approximately one hour for final FC reading before performing OCLT.

Two things:
1. I'm assuming previous CC readings of 0.5 were misreadings on my part. This final reading was done on the Speedstir like the others, but I put a piece of white paper behind it to make sure no background colors interfered with the [my] reading of the results.
2. My SLAM target was 24 according to the calculators, but after the first SLAM reading, I kept it a little higher due to the likelihood that I wouldn't be able to perform FC checks for several hours. I actually did good at first until I had to go to work this afternoon, hence the large time gap today.

Holding off on the OCLT now. I've tested the FC five different times since the last FC/CC test with five different water samples and gotten FC readings of: 21.5, 21.5, 19, 15.5 and 16.5. That averages out to 18.8. I guess I'm going to raise the FC level back up to a target of 28 and I'll try again tomorrow night. :/

Patience and perseverance. You "know" what to do, have been doing a great job so far, and keeping great notes! :goodjob: Aside from normal sun loss, if your FC is getting used it means it's working to fight something in the water, even if you can't see it with the naked eye, so definitely keep it at the SLAM level appropriate for you on the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Stay at it until you know you've met the 3 SLAM requirements - but let us know what all 3 are next time (water clear?; OCLT no more than 1 of FC?; and CC <.5?).

You're getting there! :)

The weird thing was though that I did the initial test once I got home from work and got FC - 22.5. I added 5 3/4 cups of 10% LC to raise it to a target of 24. I retested an hour later and got all of those different, lower readings. I just don't get how at night my FC tested lower even after adding LC to the water? Either way, just tested the water after waking up and FC is 20. Going to add LC to get back to target level.

Just got out of the pool and I think I've eliminated the last three sources of algae. I pulled both lights out (1 in the pool and 1 in the spa) and both lights had algae growing on the back. I brushed out the housings and around the housing where the light trim would normally be covering it. Also, I unhooked the fitting for the pool cleaner and brushed around the wall fitting. I noticed that the first pool guy I had apparently used about 1/2 a roll of teflon tape around the part that screws into the wall. I took all of that off and it was bright green underneath all of that tape. Scrubbed that and the lights in a rather strong solution of bleach and water outside of the pool. The fitting is completely clean and I've just got both lights in the water too where there is the shock level of chlorine to help sanitize them while I'm gone at work. Going to test FC before I leave and add bleach as necessary.

I had someone add 110 oz of 8.25% bleach to the pool, while I was at work, after the pool was shaded to bring the FC level up. Just tested and got FC - 20.5 and CC - >0.5. I'm going to give OCLT a go without adding anything like last night and then getting messed up/different readings.

The pool looks spectacular right now. Clear (as it was before SLAM), but no small and random growths of algae and the water is much bluer in color. So:

1. Water clear?
2. CC 0.5 or less?

3. FC loss of 1 or less?
We'll see in the morning :D

I greatly appreciate the help so far! You guys are great!
:bowdown::cheers:

Welcome to TFP!!! your doing very good. Yea very high CL may hurt swimwear . Pictures (before & after)? keep up the testing and enjoy your efforts.
The picture in the first post is what the pool looked like before the SLAM. The worst the pool has looked like period since I've bought the house was something like this (not my photo/pool):
mustard-algae-2.jpg

The water was fairly clear/clear but the walls and steps of the pool were completely covered in yellowish algae. It looked like..."heck." It was actually only a few weeks ago it looked like this which is what really motivated me to learn how to maintain the pool myself and not rely on algaecide, chlorine tabs and a quick brush job from a pool service. I will post an end result photo a little later though once the sun comes up and I finish sleeping :p

Onto the final results though. I ran the OCLT last night though. The last chemicals were added to the pool at 7:38PM last night when the pool was no longer in sunlight. I tested the FC/CC at 10:15PM when I got home from work. So, this morning at 0540 I woke up to test the pool water before the sun rose (the sun is already coming up now) and *drumroll*................

FC - 20
CC - I want to say it is 0, but just in case, it is at most less than 0.5.

I lost 0.5ppm of FC from last night and CC went from >0.5 to 0. :whoot:

Here is a picture of what the pool looked like when we bought the house, (you can easily see the algae in the pool). It was being filled as the previous owners stopped caring for it and the water level was so low the pump wouldn't even prime:
1juvkj.jpg

This is what it typically looked like (yes, this photo was edited a bit :p, but you can still make out the algae problem):
16abr5u.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures shortly after beginning the slam and thoroughly brushing the pool:
v8cwzs.jpg

o74vpt.jpg

Here are some pictures of the end result! All of the photos are indeed unedited. (I just need to reinstall the lights the next time I get in): :cool:
2ptb9xy.jpg

rbze4l.jpg

2pyxf95.jpg

34ypkc8.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.