Added bromine spa water to chlorine pool, help!

Veysma

Aug 16, 2015
Atlanta, Il
So my husband had the genius idea to empty our warm spa water into our pool last night. The spa is bromine, the pool is chlorine. I didn’t realize the mistake until the middle of the night. The spa water was pretty well balanced but probably needed some non chlorine shock added at the time. I haven’t added Any chemicals or tested the pool yet this morning because I didn’t want to add to our mistake and I wasn’t sure our reading would be correct since we mixed everything. So what should I do from here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The spa is roughly 350 gallons and the pool is 13,500 gallons. My husband said he added a floater with bromine pucks in about 2 weeks ago and it was empty last night. He’s slacked a bit on the spa since we were working on re-opening the pool. He said he just did a quit dip strip test a few day’s ago (aqua check brand for bromine) and ph/alkalinity were “ideal” and total bromine showed 0. I do know bromine can just hang in the water until MPS is added so I’m not sure what our reserve was.

You probably added less than 1 ppm bromide to your pool, so it should be fine. Wouldn't do that again though, bromide in a chlorine pool can cause all sorts of unwanted and long lasting side effects.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thank you! And yea, he’s off water duty for a little while after this little fiasco. We’ve had quite a bit of sun recently and had some kids over yesterday, would it be okay to add chlorine to my pool today if it’s needed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.