May 8, 2016
St Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey all:

At this pointing the summer, I'm usually using my SWG to maintain my pool, but my circuit board is busted right now, so I'm using 12.5% bleach while we try to get that fixed.

Everything was fine the last few weeks; I was able to keep my FC around 3-4. After a heavy swimmer load last Friday, I loaded up my pool with enough bleach to reach 6 FC, then shut the cover. Checked it yesterday (four days later) and the pool is cloudy and I read 0 FC. I haven't seen it go that fast before, especially when covered and no swimmers. But I figure what the heck. So I added enough bleach to raise the level from 0 to 4. Check it this morning. Still 0 chlorine. So I add another gallon of bleach. Check it an hour later. Still 0 chlorine. I just added another gallon. According to Pool Math, I should be near 12 FC right now, but I can't get it to hold.

So here's my question: How does one maintain a pool with bleach? I assume what I'm dealing with here means I let the pool lie fallow too long. How often should I test when we aren't in the pool? As noted in my signature, we have an automatic cover, so we don't usually lose much FC to sunlight. Water temp is between 76-78. The SWG is nice (when it's working) because once I get the pool balanced, I don't have to do much, if anything. I normally only test when we are swimming.
--
Edited to add: Just retested the water, 1 hour after adding the last gallon of bleach. FC is 3, CC is 6. �� I've never seen my CC be that high; the most I've ever seen it is 1. What does the fact that my CC is higher than my FC mean?

Thanks,

Kelly

High CC indicates that there is something in the water that the FC is in the process of breaking down.

Do you have a proper test kit
(TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) and can you post your test results, just so we can get a better idea of what might be going on with your pool.

FC =
CC =
pH =
CH =
CYA=

I have a TK-2006 test kit (signature line). All my other water levels are within range for where I need to be.
FC : 3
CC : 6
pH : 7.4
CYA : 50
I don't test my calcium much, since I have a vinyl liner.

I've already started the SLAM process. I'm more curious if there are guidelines for maintaining a SWG pool without the SWG. :p If the pool is covered and no one is using it, do I still need to test daily? Every other day? What are the best practices? I haven't used bleach-only to maintain before, and I'd like to avoid having to SLAM every other week.

I have a TK-2006 test kit (signature line). All my other water levels are within range for where I need to be.
FC : 3
CC : 6
pH : 7.4
CYA : 50
I don't test my calcium much, since I have a vinyl liner.

I've already started the SLAM process. I'm more curious if there are guidelines for maintaining a SWG pool without the SWG. :p If the pool is covered and no one is using it, do I still need to test daily? Every other day? What are the best practices? I haven't used bleach-only to maintain before, and I'd like to avoid having to SLAM every other week.

Best practices are what work for your pool. Once you get this current issue fixed you should test every day for a week or so to get an idea of how much your pool needs. You have a huge pool so you need to be careful and maintain the chemistry or you'll end up in another SLAM situation. But like I said, get this current SLAM going asap. A CC of 6 is bad! You'll need 8 gallons of 10% bleach just to get it to a FC of 20

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.