Add salt water system to my above ground 24'round pool? Pros and cons

Hello. I'm new to this forum. I'm thinking about adding a saltwater system to my 24'round above ground pool. Any thoughts? Pros vs cons? My brother in law has had it for one year and loves it. The local pool store does not suggest bc they said the salt will rust out the metal parts of my pool. Any thoughts? Comments?

In my honest opinion, there are no cons. It makes the pool nearly maintenance free as far as chemicals. I do nothing but skim every day or two, and vacuum pool bottom every couple of weeks.
As far as the rusting of the metal parts, that's BS. There are a number of threads on this site that go into detail. What causes the rust is the metal parts that make contact with each other and rub the finish off. I've been using SWG for many years now and it's the only reason I still have a pool. If it were up to me to maintain the water chemistry, I'd have an algae filled mess.
A good Hayward T-Cell system, and a good sand filter is all you need.

You will not regret going with a chlorine generator. The maintenance once dialed in is so minimal. I basically just have to check the levels and skim stuff off the surface and clean the skimmer basket and vacuum. All Pools have salt in them. Chlorine alone has salt in it (sodium hypochloride) so all pools contain salt over time just from keeping the water balanced. Water by itself is corrosive. The ph being out of range is going to be more corrosive than the salt in the water.

I don't think you can go wrong with a SWG. I have one on my pool as well and we wouldn't be without it now.

We went with the Intex version, it does the same thing as the pricier ones doesn't have any bells and whistles.

It's true salt can be corrosive, but I don't think the amount of salt added is really going to affect the metal parts of the pool. When we have ours set up and running for the summer some people can slightly taste the salt in the water, others don't notice it. It's nothing like the amount of salt you taste when you go swimming in the ocean.

The pool store likely wants you to frequent their shop and knows if you have an SEG you will be in the store much less often for supplies.

Totally disagree with others on here. I setup the Intex Salt Water system for a season and it completely rotted out all my metal parts such as legs, crossbars and tees. Chlorine is such a fuss but at least I don't have to replace parts every year.

Sorry to hear that kidfam. I assume you were testing your water regularly with a test kit and keeping your pH under control all the time? Low pH is what typically causes the majority of corrosion. But it can also depend on were in the world you are located. Such as near the ocean.

Take care. Thanks for posting

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.