Add Pool Vinyl Border to cover pool wall stains

Gery

Jan 21, 2020
Indiana
I tried to add a Vinyl Border to my Vinyl Pool liner and found some problems with most of these products.
Manufactures say “easy to install”!

Problem with most of these products:
1. You need to clean the area of the Pool Liner that you will apply the vinyl border to with a good vinyl cleaner.
2. You have to lower the water level in the pool below where your vinyl border will be placed (6”, 8”, 12”, etc.) This can create problems with your Vinyl Pool Corners Bulging without the water pressure keeping them nice and tight.
3. Now the fun begins -
a. Most vinyl border strips are about 2 foot length's and you have to carefully pull the backing off as you slowly apply the vinyl border to the Vinyl Pool Wall.
b. The vinyl border material is thin, stretchy, and has a great adhesive backing.
c. Now I am lining up my vinyl border to adhere to a very clean vinyl surface but once contact is made, it is hard to get the vinyl border strip to release from the pool liner without stretching the vinyl border.
d. Two Problems here -
1. Since the vinyl border stretched, the vinyl border material is more likely to distort making it harder to get bubbles and creases out of the new border you are putting in place.
2. Even if the vinyl border material did not stretch, you will likely not get all of the bubbles or crease out when using the spreader they give. This is due to the great adhesive on the backing of the vinyl border. I am only talking about the straight sides of the Pool Liner, when you get to the bulging corners due to lack of water pressure, it only gets much harder for making it look half way decent.

I am a extremely patient person and worked with 4 (2 foot strips) in 1 1/2 hours and tried everything including cutting the 2 foot sections down to 1 foot sections to see if I could manipulate smaller pieces of border easier with less distortion, bubbles, and creases (didn’t work).

As an engineer, the only solution I could see was if the vinyl borders where thicker vinyl material to allow better manipulation of the vinyl border and help reduce the stretching of the border for repositioning, getting the bubbles out, and eliminate creases.

I returned my vinyl border purchase (80 feet) for refund and still looking for an alternative? Good luck!!

Hi and welcome to TFP!

Thanks for the tale of caution about pool borders.I know how hard it is to put the protective film on a cell phone. I cannot imagine trying to do it 2' at a time :shock: I am glad you were able to return it!