Adapting coping to new liner

May 23, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Hi, I am going to be in the market for a new liner very soon most likely before the end of this summer. I have a company set out to come and visit me soon for an estimate but my Local pool service tells me I will probably need to install a new track as he is not sure that the liners made today will fit or can be made to accommodate my old system. My liner started tearing slowly about two years ago and has progressively gotten worse. This year I had a 26 inch vertical split down from the top as the early winter ice started to build up and expand.

1). My pool is ready to open for the summer and I would like to enjoy it as much as possible is it advisable to have the liner changed at the end of the season before winter arrives or have everything prepared this fall for a new spring liner?

2). Presently, the liner goes all the way up to the top of the sheet metal then is doubled or tripled and wraps over the sheet metal and an aluminum coping sandwiches it in place. If this system cannot be made anymore and I am forced to put a track the lack of liner at the top will make the coping very loose and not hold in place. See photos

3) are there alternative coping a I can make work? Stone or maybe pour cement?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1E26990B-CC59-4749-9AFC-F1E58EF4FB03.jpeg
    1E26990B-CC59-4749-9AFC-F1E58EF4FB03.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 15
  • D7BF177C-34E2-4F43-B323-91F5918E1A20.jpeg
    D7BF177C-34E2-4F43-B323-91F5918E1A20.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 15
I would be VERY surprised if a custom made & cut liner could not be fabricated for that setup.

They can cut it to size for a winter (looser) or summer (tighter) weather installation, but it seems
to be best to do it in warmer weather. As luck would have It mine was installed on the last 75
degree day we had in mid October some time ago.

If you've got a very long split going on it sounds like you should be replacing the liner about
now instead of going through another season of it. Unless you have that damaged area solidly patched.

I would be VERY surprised if a custom made & cut liner could not be fabricated for that setup.

They can cut it to size for a winter (looser) or summer (tighter) weather installation, but it seems
to be best to do it in warmer weather. As luck would have It mine was installed on the last 75
degree day we had in mid October some time ago.

If you've got a very long split going on it sounds like you should be replacing the liner about
now instead of going through another season of it. Unless you have that damaged area solidly patched.
Thanks, good to know. I’ve never had to replace one so not very knowledgeable in that regard.

I could happily get away with a September install if possible. When lined up as straight as possible the V gash was about 2-3 inches opened at the top and an 8-10” wide patch was applied to its length so a lot of glued surface on each side.

I approached another pool company today to inquire about my liner and was told by someone that knew my type of pool very well that they did not adapt any new liner to this older method and that a new track screwed to the inside wall was inevitable. He also mentioned that unless I was remodelling the whole deck with stone, it was commonplace to simply fill the top plate with cement.

Given that this is only 1 company, the initial company that I inquired with has not visited me yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.