Active 20 question and criticism

May 14, 2015
Richardson
Quick question on the active 20 - should the blue light (Around the big power button) on the unit blink after a cycle is complete? Is that normal? I was hoping to mainly just leave this in the water on the cycle that cleans every few days, but would expect lights on the control panel to not be on when not in use.

Overall, coming from a polaris p945 that had a control panel go dead after 4 years, this cleaner is really disappointing. After just a couple weeks use, the cord constantly getting tangled, it gets stuck for minutes at a time on my drains (Pretty poor design to not account for that), misses a few spots each cycle instead of getting 100% coverage, and overall doesn’t seem to be as smart in pattern plotting as the Polaris. Would not recommend.

I actually just saw in the manual that the button does constantly blink between cycles when in weekly timer mode. What a poor design choice. While I was happy to save a few hundred dollars in buying this unit over a new polaris, I think I’ll have to return and do just that.

Sorry to hear that. Mine works great. Never gets stuck. Cleans everywhere you would expect a robot to get. The control panel does blink, but that is not an issue.

Take care.

Dad,

I have two S200's, which are the same as the Active 20.. They both clean everything.. If I have a single dime sized leaf, anywhere in the pool, it will be gone what the cycle is done. They live in two different pools and neither one every gets stuck on the main drains..

The light flashing is for a reason.. It tells you at a glance that the unit has not finished it's 7 days of programming yet...

I never coil my cables up on the caddie and they just don't tangle to any extent.. The cable is at least 10 x better than the 15 years old Dolphin Diagnostics that they replaced.

Since I don't keep the power supply in my bedroom, I can't see where it makes any difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I can see where it wouldn't matter to some, but as I planned to leave my panel/cart on my deck, having a constant blinking blue light is a bit of an annoyance. Generally, when electronics blink like that constantly it's to indicate you of something being wrong.

Coming from a Polaris unit, that's my only point of reference on the cord, so to me it's worse. What's interesting is that unit didn't have a swivel, while the Dolphin does.

My drains are just standard Hayward covers so while I can see it not getting stuck on more low-profile style covers, I think it's interesting they didn't plan for that when designing the unit. That being said, reading through the owner's thread, there appeared to be cases where it would never come over certain covers; at least on mine it would find it's way off after a few minutes.

Glad you are happy with your unit, but unfortunately it won't work in my use case.

Dad.

Mine sometimes gets stuck on the drains, the light also bothers me, so i flip it upsidown and voila! About cleaning, if your is not doing it then there is something wrong, mine cleans very well.

Dad,

I can see how it might work differently in different pools...

Both of mine, bought this year, have the swivel... :scratch: Maybe a difference between the Active 20 and the S200s that I have.???

I fully understand your position.. It matters little what my opinion is, if the thing is not working for you, you need to go with something that does..

I was just trying to show the "other side of the story"...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.