Acorns...cam any cleaner really handle them?

budgetplan1

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 1, 2013
Cleveland, OH
An oak tree's very life hangs in the balance. Every year it grows farther and farther over the pool and the acorns fall (sometimes with the help of squirrels) into the pool. Hayward Navigator gets clogged pretty quickly.

No pressure-side plumbing available and it'll be about $1k to cut tree down so wondering if there is a suction or robotic cleaner that'll handle acorns without blinking.

Don't wanna cut tree down but it's getting old quickly.

Robotic cleaners are powered by their own little pump and they work very well on this type of debris. I have a Pool Rover Jr for my above ground pool that also has a large oak hanging over it. I get tons of leaves and acorns every year. My old suction side cleaner would clog if it even saw an acorn and I spent a lot of time unclogging it. Pool Rover runs til he is full and then I empty it out in the trash. Works really well. I would definitely look into a robotic cleaner for your pool.

Most robotic cleaners I can think of can handle acorns no problem, so long as your acorns aren't huge. Most inlet vents for robots are about 3/4"-1" wide, so if your average acorn is smaller than that you should be good. I regularly get old Aquabots and Dolphins filled to the brim with acorns.

Most robotic cleaners I can think of can handle acorns no problem, so long as your acorns aren't huge. Most inlet vents for robots are about 3/4"-1" wide, so if your average acorn is smaller than that you should be good. I regularly get old Aquabots and Dolphins filled to the brim with acorns.
It's not so much the inlet itself, the Navigator will suck the acorn in but then it jams up in the internal paddlewheel.

Guess I'll start looking at the internal of some cleaners. Maybe some of the robots don't use the paddlewheel internal design.

I watched a video where a guy was feeding acorns into a Kreepy Krauly Shark. But they weren't the BIG ones, about 1/2 to 3/4" diameter. If I had some samples I would try it with mine, but most of my tress are flowering types.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.