Acid pump tubes

May 11, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm relatively new to this forum and I hope that this thread hasn't gone stone-cold. I just stumbled across it when researching a fix for my diy auto acid dosing system. I've been auto dosing my 16K gallon in-ground plaster pool with liquid CL for a couple years now. My setup is with a really inexpensive 12 vdc rheostat-speed-controlled peristaltic chemical feeder pump and a 24-hr timer. I have a 15 gallon HDPE poly bottle in my pool-shed that I fill from the gallon jugs I get from home-depot every three or four months. Super simple! The timer is set for around midnight to run the CL feeder pump for fifteen minutes and injects about 25 oz. in my chlorinator while the filter pump is running at high speed for cleaning at night. I have an in-floor cleaning system. My CL is steady at about 3 ppm and life is almost good. My pH is always going up cause of my sanitizing method. Every other day or three, I have to add about 2 to 3 cups of 30% MA to keep my pH around 7.6 [it cycles between about 7.9 to 7.5]. My TA has been pretty good as it stays around 80 ppm and I only have to add a few pounds of baking soda every couple of months.....almost no bother. However, to advance my pool automation endeavor, a few weeks ago, I got another peristaltic pump and timer set up to inject acid during the day when my filter pump is running at slow speed to circulate and filter. After about a week, I found that my acid injection system tubing failed causing air to leak into the peristaltic pump suction. Turns out that the silicone tubing is not recommended for use with MA. Not much information is in any of the swimming pool forums about what tubing materials should be used with MA and peristaltic pumps. I've seen the Pentair system and the Stenner pump setups that some have been using but no one discusses what kind of chemical tubing is in their system(s), and they are really pricey compared to my diy setup. I recall someone mentioning using something like the cheap poly 1/4" drip line tubing but no one followed up with a go or no on it. My research led me to Viton tubing which is pretty expensive for me to experiment with unless someone else has good experience to support it. Can anyone advise on what tubing they know is compatible with MA and flexible enough to run thru my 1/8" od peristaltic pump? THX in advance for any thoughts or enlightenment.

I'm relatively new to this forum and I hope that this thread hasn't gone stone-cold. I just stumbled across it when researching a fix for my diy auto acid dosing system. I've been auto dosing my 16K gallon in-ground plaster pool with liquid CL for a couple years now. My setup is with a really inexpensive 12 vdc rheostat-speed-controlled peristaltic chemical feeder pump and a 24-hr timer. I have a 15 gallon HDPE poly bottle in my pool-shed that I fill from the gallon jugs I get from home-depot every three or four months. Super simple! The timer is set for around midnight to run the CL feeder pump for fifteen minutes and injects about 25 oz. in my chlorinator while the filter pump is running at high speed for cleaning at night. I have an in-floor cleaning system. My CL is steady at about 3 ppm and life is almost good. My pH is always going up cause of my sanitizing method. Every other day or three, I have to add about 2 to 3 cups of 30% MA to keep my pH around 7.6 [it cycles between about 7.9 to 7.5]. My TA has been pretty good as it stays around 80 ppm and I only have to add a few pounds of baking soda every couple of months.....almost no bother. However, to advance my pool automation endeavor, a few weeks ago, I got another peristaltic pump and timer set up to inject acid during the day when my filter pump is running at slow speed to circulate and filter. After about a week, I found that my acid injection system tubing failed causing air to leak into the peristaltic pump suction. Turns out that the silicone tubing is not recommended for use with MA. Not much information is in any of the swimming pool forums about what tubing materials should be used with MA and peristaltic pumps. I've seen the Pentair system and the Stenner pump setups that some have been using but no one discusses what kind of chemical tubing is in their system(s), and they are really pricey compared to my diy setup. I recall someone mentioning using something like the cheap poly 1/4" drip line tubing but no one followed up with a go or no on it. My research led me to Viton tubing which is pretty expensive for me to experiment with unless someone else has good experience to support it. Can anyone advise on what tubing they know is compatible with MA and flexible enough to run thru my 1/8" od peristaltic pump? THX in advance for any thoughts or enlightenment.
If you lower the TA down to 50/60 you may not even need the acid pump. The reason the pH keeps rising so much is your TA is elevated, not related to your sanitation method.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Any ta 50 or above is fine.
You really shouldn’t need to add baking soda.
You also mentioned your fc is 3ppm but didn’t mention your cya. This sounds a bit low.
Be sure to maintain target range 🎯 fc for your cya to avoid algae. Flirting with minimum is not recommended.
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Bperry
The wiki mentions Santoprene -
I believe @PoolStored was a stenner guy maybe he will have more details
The Santoprene tubing is used inside the stenner pump. You need to choose your pump tubes based on the chemical. Page 72 and 73 shows compatibility.

As for the suction/discharge tubing, it is made of Polyethylene. Search google for "suction discharge tubing stenner." Lots of options. I'd recommend the black tubing.

You better be careful not to crash the pH with TA that low.
I certainly would agree in general, with manual acid dosing, but the acid is micro-dosed automatically throughout the day based on pH. With 120TA makeup water in the Arizona desert there's always enough upward bias to TA and pH to make this safe. Been running this way for a few years now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.