Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Greetings all.
This is season 3 of our pool which we just opened last Thursday. So far I've managed the chemistry pretty well and am close to having all levels where we want them. The one thing I have not done well over the last 2 seasons was to track my SWG output setting to define an accurate baseline for where I want to keep it in an ongoing basis...that changes this year.

My recollection from last year is that the salt level as reported by the SWG had been consistently lower that what I see in my own testing. my last bag of salt went in lunchtime yesterday, and today, for example, the IC-40 shows 3300 but my own tests show 3600. Is one reading more accurate than the other given that the Taylor salt test uses increments of 200ppm? For accurate tracking in PoolMath should I be recording my test results, the SWG reading or should I split the difference?

Record your results in PoolMath. You can add a note to show the SWG salt reading, along with any other info you thing is needed.

Steve

The cell's reported salt level is +/- 500 ppm...

This is why I always recommend having the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.. Everyone needs to be able to check the "reported' salt level vs. the 'actual' salt level.

Right now you are good. The problem is when the cell just thinks the salt level is too low run, it will stop producing chlorine, no matter the actual salt level..

My goal is to keep my actual salt level as low as possible, yet keeping the reported salt level above 2800.. I usually try to keep the reported level at about 3000..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: proavia
My recollection from last year is that the salt level as reported by the SWG had been consistently lower that what I see in my own testing. my last bag of salt went in lunchtime yesterday, and today, for example, the IC-40 shows 3300 but my own tests show 3600. Is one reading more accurate than the other given that the Taylor salt test uses increments of 200ppm? For accurate tracking in PoolMath should I be recording my test results, the SWG reading or should I split the difference?
Taylor test is accurate +/- 1 drop in 10. Or, at 3200ppm, +/-~300. The cell is probably about the same accuracy...+/-~500

What you track is up to you.

Your primary objective is to keep the cell happy and producing. Personally, I track my Taylor results, and keep it around 3500 (+/- 3000 keeps me in the target range of 3000-4000). Cell manufacturer recommends 3000-4000, and not to let it go below 3000. I then monitor the cell to make sure that it is producing. I don't care what the cell is saying the salinity is, just that it is producing.

What salt level does your cell maker recommend?

Reactions: Newdude
Taylor test is accurate +/- 1 drop in 10. Or, at 3200ppm, +/-~300. The cell is probably about the same accuracy...+/-~500

What you track is up to you.

Your primary objective is to keep the cell happy and producing. Personally, I track my Taylor results, and keep it around 3500 (+/- 3000 keeps me in the target range of 3000-4000). Cell manufacturer recommends 3000-4000, and not to let it go below 3000. I then monitor the cell to make sure that it is producing. I don't care what the cell is saying the salinity is, just that it is producing.

What salt level does your cell maker recommend?
The cell recommends 3600 so I'm spot on based on my own testing. I figure I'm probably good for the season, maybe needing 1 more bag later on if we have a wet Spring/Summer.

Steve,

People are different... I can taste the salt once the actual level gets about 3400 or so.. That is why I try to keep my salt level as low as possible and still keep the cell happy.

Like poolstored, I don't care what the cell reports, as long as it is happy..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
My ICXX works mint down to 2800, then runs at reduced capacity to 2600 giving me time to catch the low salt alarm. Even with our abundance if rain, it takes months to go low from 3200, which is what I bump it to when it's low.