Accidentally added salt with swg on. Damage?

Nlandr7

May 10, 2022
Gonzales, Louisiana
I was amping up my FC before adding salt to the pool, in anticipation of having to keep my swg off for 24 hours, so I had my swg at 100%.

I thought I had turned my swg down to 0% before I added 80 lbs of salt, but after looking at it after about 7 hours, my swg was still at 100%. Did I ruin it? What are the consequences? My Pentair salt ppm on the app is still reading what it was prior to adding salt, but my standalone meter reads what it should be reading (500 ppm higher)

Nothing wrong with that.

Edit: also, how are you testing salt exactly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So you only have to turn off your swg when initially adding salt to your pool for the first time? It’s safe to leave it on for “top offs”?
I have the Pentair as well, so you are aware when running, it reads the salt level every 12 hours or so.. or if you want an instant reading, just turn off the filter and turn it back on again..

If I need to top off salt, I add it in the evening and turn the SWCG off and let the pump run all night (it’s normally set to just run during the day). In the morning I turn the SWCG back on and return the pump to it’s normal schedule. I’ve been doing it this way for almost 20 years without issue.

Reactions: markayash
If I need to top off salt, I add it in the evening and turn the SWCG off and let the pump run all night (it’s normally set to just run during the day). In the morning I turn the SWCG back on and return the pump to it’s normal schedule. I’ve been doing it this way for almost 20 years without issue.
One bag of salt is nothing to fret about and overnight is more then enough time to disappear.

I spread little amounts all over pool rather than just dumping or spreading the bag.. I have not shut off the SWCG when I do this.. Maybe I should? still works perfectly.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.