Accent tile on steps in pebbletec/stonescapes

BoilerHorn

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 14, 2007
Central Texas
We are placing tile on the edge of some of our steps for aesthetics and for safety (so people are aware of where the steps end). Pool will be finished with pebbletec/stonescapes. Pool builder says they will install the finish in between the tiles. No grout. Makes sense, as grout would stand out.

Tile on steps is installed as seen in the photo I attached. I suspect this is common, but I am curious if anyone has experience with this. And comments?

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 8.32.37 AM.png

Looks typical. Either people will do a line of tile or just place a few square accent tiles along the edge. In my pool it’s singular 1” tiles with about 12” between their placement.

The tile guy could have done a nicer job on the mitered edge but that’s not an easy angle to cut if you’re not careful.

I always suggest using the plaster instead of grout for step tiles.

I LOVE the tile you picked! Very pretty colors and the 1x2 is my fav size.

Now I am guessing you are asking about the "turn corner" cutting when you ask "this is common". That is not the worse job I have seen. At least they tried to cut and fit them. Once the plaster goes in no one else will even notice it. It will all blend in while they are enjoying your pool!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The "is this common" was really meant for the plaster/pebble in between tiles. I believe that is common.

Agree the mitred edges are not perfect and we've informed the installer. As noted, once the pebble is installed we'll see it less.

Last, thanks for noticing the inconsistencies on the bonding material! I will call that out, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.