Above Ground Solar Heater Panels

Jun 12, 2017
Highland Park, NJ
I no longer have full sun as my backyard trees have gotten tall and full (hubby refuses to cut them down!). Have a solar blanket which I keep on except when swimming but it is not enough anymore - too many days when water needs to be a bit warmer to enjoy. Jumping into the solar heating panel "pool". My house gets full sun so plan on mounting them on roof which is 1 story up (pump is about 15' from house). I have an Intex Ultra Frame 12 x 24' x 52" and 14" sand filter/pump with a Hayward through the wall skimmer. No hard plumbing (pvc) - just regular hoses.
A few questions:
  1. Can my system handle Doheny's 5' X 20' ( two 2.5' x 20') solar heat collectors? Is is overkill (I'd prefer a bit warmer than cooler)?
  2. Since it is going on the roof, will my pump be strong enough to push enough water through to make a difference?
  3. What plumbing modifications do I need to make? If I am understanding the connections correctly, every time I turn on my filter, water will go through the solar heater... is that necessary?
Thanks.

Reactions: denwood
I no longer have full sun as my backyard trees have gotten tall and full (hubby refuses to cut them down!). Have a solar blanket which I keep on except when swimming but it is not enough anymore - too many days when water needs to be a bit warmer to enjoy. Jumping into the solar heating panel "pool". My house gets full sun so plan on mounting them on roof which is 1 story up (pump is about 15' from house). I have an Intex Ultra Frame 12 x 24' x 52" and 14" sand filter/pump with a Hayward through the wall skimmer. No hard plumbing (pvc) - just regular hoses.
A few questions:
  1. Can my system handle Doheny's 5' X 20' ( two 2.5' x 20') solar heat collectors? Is is overkill (I'd prefer a bit warmer than cooler)?
  2. Since it is going on the roof, will my pump be strong enough to push enough water through to make a difference?
  3. What plumbing modifications do I need to make? If I am understanding the connections correctly, every time I turn on my filter, water will go through the solar heater... is that necessary?
Thanks.
Neither an Intex, nor any other above ground pool pump, would likely be able to push water to a roof and through solar panels. You would also nee a 3-way valve to divert water to the solar when heat is available and away when it is not and a check valve in the return from solar along with a T in the return line to the pool.

Reactions: denwood and Mrs LBH
Your intex pump (that ships with a 12x24) should manage 2 panels no problem to a 15’ head. Like @1poolman1 advises, you’ll want a 3 way valve, but it’s also a good idea to install a vacuum breaker on the supply side…just before the panel input will work ok.

I would advise though starting with 144 square feet (4 panels is a good start) at minimum as 2 won’t do much. 4 panels in full sun (assuming they are 2’x20’ panels) will max out at about 50K BTU in noon sun, and warm your pool (8400 gallons) 1 degree F in just under 90 minutes. You’ll want a solar cover as well to keep those BTUs in your pool :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.