Above ground pool leaked in winter

Sid432

Jul 18, 2022
Princeton/NJ
Surface
Vinyl
Hi Experts,

I am here yet for another advise and suggestion. After I brought my pool back to life last summer, I closed the pool completely.
We then went out of the country for 1 month and upon returning, I found my pool has drained completely (only 2 inches of water left from the bottom).

I am pretty sure it's a leak somewhere in the pool. Is there a way to find out where the leak is?
or should I just hire the pool guys to do the job?

Appreciate your responses and thanks in advance.
Please let me know if any further information is required and would be happy to provide it.

Post pictures of your pool.

How old is the liner?

You can try and find the leak and patch it. You need to add some water to the pool and look for where water is leaking out. Do it on a day when the ground around the pool is dry and you may spot the wet area. Or you may need to use some food dye to see where it is leaking.

The water will stop when it gets to the bottom of the leaking area. Assuming the leak is not a pinhole I would get into the pool and look for it at the water's level, hopefully it's something that is easy to see. If it is a pinhole that's going to be difficult to spot and food dye may be needed. On second thought, if the liner has a patterned wall it may be almost impossible to spot a very small hole.

Post pictures of your pool.

How old is the liner?

You can try and find the leak and patch it. You need to add some water to the pool and look for where water is leaking out. Do it on a day when the ground around the pool is dry and you may spot the wet area. Or you may need to use some food dye to see where it is leaking.
Thanks for the response. I moved this house about 6 years when purchased. So, the liner is definitely older than that.
Currently, I do have the cover on that is ripped. So, I still have to take it off.
Can you guide on how to do a food dye test?

The water will stop when it gets to the bottom of the leaking area. Assuming the leak is not a pinhole I would get into the pool and look for it at the water's level, hopefully it's something that is easy to see. If it is a pinhole that's going to be difficult to spot and food dye may be needed. On second thought, if the liner has a patterned wall it may be almost impossible to spot a very small hole.
Yes, when I went in winter to inspect the pool, I did see the entire area wet so much so that I literally felt dampness when I stepped on it.
It was where right the filtration system and the jet return. However, I didn't see any water leakage at that point. Perhaps, the water has already leaked and/or it's winter and didn't look close enough..

Would you be happen to point me to the food dye test?

I liked this video, and perhaps some of the others may be able to give you additional tips and pointers. From what I gather you need to confirm your leak first, so finding the hole in the liner where the water is leaking and then confirming it with dye.

Would you be happen to point me to the food dye test?
I have never done a leak test but have read about it. Our last pool had a plain blue wall but our new pool does have a swirl pattern on the wall and I doubt that I would have an easy time to find it. Maybe feel around the area you think is the correct area and see if you feel anything ... honestly other than it being obvious not sure how to go about locating a hole. My last pool had 2 holes in the liner, 1 that was about surface level when the pool was filled and the 2nd when we trashed the pool, the second one was more of a gash that just developed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.