Above Ground Pool install on wet ground

swimcmp said:
Bury the pipes at least a foot deep. cover them with the 1" clean rock. Then put about 6-8" of gravel over the dirt. Build pool on top of gravel base. Put a berm of dirt to hold gravel in place.

Would I absolutely have to bury pipes and pump it out? This is getting too expensive quick. Two deliveries of stone, 400'+ of pipe, sump pump and pit, Bobcat rental x 2 days, plate tamper rental. I am gonna have around $1500 in foundation for a $2000 pool. I can do the raised stone foundation part ONLY for around $600. Would the stone only route hold up or would it fail?

The stone route will work. It has to be done right. I've done this route on some friends pools and it works.

You have to use the right stone. In my area we call it 2A Modified. Some places call it crush and run. It consists of 3/4" stone down to dust. You can't use clean stone as it will not compact.

For a 24' pool I would go at least 28' dia. pad. Maybe bigger with your water problem. With a plate compactor go no more than 6" of stone and compact. It will compact an inch or so.

I can't stress enough it has to be done right or it will settle.

Here's a pic of one I did. [attachment=0:nn81psxm]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365559087.157055.jpg[/attachment:nn81psxm]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365559087.157055.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365559087.157055.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 148
pwrstrk said:
You can't use clean stone as it will not compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told that drain rock is 98% compacted when it is laid down, that is what they put under all my concrete decking. There is no need to use a compactor, not saying you should do this for your situation.

Finally starting on the foundation. I have decided to first level the ground without doing much digging. Mainly pushing high side to low side. Then rolling with a riding style compactor. Then lay 6" of crushed stone, and compact again. This should put the pool way out of the water. Wish me luck.

Is it okay to build up with the crushed limestone as long as it's packed? If so, this will change my plans a bit!

Casey said:
Is it okay to build up with the crushed limestone as long as it's packed? If so, this will change my plans a bit!
Not sure about limestone to raise the ground. Most of this thread is about trying to prevent sinking and/or raising your pool out of a wet ground situation. Everyone has recommended 3/4' crushed with dust for this purpose so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Construction will start Saturday! :party: I have some last minute questions.

One rental place wants $50 for a walk behind plate compactor. The other place wants $150 for a riding vibratamp rolling machine. The pad is about 600 square feet with a 1200 square foot gravel driveway addition going in as well. I will be compacting 6"-12" of stone. Which machine should I get and how long will it take?

Are you compacting 2A Crusher or are you compacting gravel? Because the latter will not compact. The crusher will. If you are using crush, you need to compact in 6" lifts or less to get a firm base. I wouldn't go any more than that as you may get settling down the road.

I'm in PA and a plate compactor will run me $48 a day. I don't know which one is better but hey... I'll bump your topic for ya! :mrgreen:

Here they call it 78's with dust. They are 3/4" or smaller sharp crushed stones with fine dust used for gravel roads and driveways. I have heard about the walk behind tamp on here. Wondering if the big riding version is worth the extra $100 dollars plus an extra trip to a separate rental store? Will it do a better job?

I will also be compacting the sod that is removed to make an earthen berm to contain the stone. The sod here is so tough you cannot press it with the Bobcat bucket at all. Even driving over it makes little impact unless you spend a lot of time with it. Thought about using the riding tamp to try and press it into place.

The Rolling Vibraory comapctor will be your best freind.
I would make sure when you compact the 2A that it is a little moist. Most quarries deliver it moist but if not just garden hose it down and then roll it in. It can be like concete when it dries out.
Also make sure to stir it the best you can, im not sure how you were going to spread the base around but making sure the fines do not settle on the bottom of the pile. When they deliver it, it should be failrl well shfited already so mixing it can be very important before spreading.

Thanks for the reply! Have you done many of these types of pads before? Any other tips for leveling the pad? I fired my contractor for blowing me off for a week :whip: so it's is all on me now. Got a living room full of pool boxes and the weather wasn't getting any cooler. Thanks!

Not agg base pool pads. But for a living I test pads or agg base and various other other building materials for compaction. It will get harder as it dries out. But if you place it in the 6" lifts as someone else suggested you will have plenty of time to get pavers I to place. It will still be digable but it wouldn't be much fun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.