Jake&Clan

Jun 17, 2022
Cedarville, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Despite record high water temps last year from June until the end of August if we installed an above ground pool heater it would extend our swim season by around 2 months.

13,000 gallon 4' deep circular pool that sits in direct sun all the time. The issue is in September the days are hot but the nights just kill the temps (and the sun dropping doesn't help).

Watson's pool store by us suggested a 135k BTU analog ($1,600) or 150k digital ($1,899). I'd have to have a propane line run out to the pool from my tank but I'd do the trenching. Option 2 is a heat pump (40Amp, 47k BTU $2,299) and there's already a 220 hookup at the back of the house. I'm already intending for an electrician to run electric out to the pool so I can quick running my pump on an extension cord.​
I don't really know what questions to ask, here. It's like asking a fish "how's the water?" I don't know what questions to ask these vendors, things to consider, pros/cons, etc., I welcome your thoughts.​

Thanks!​

If you go with propane you know that either size will always heat the water at the rate of about 1 degree per hour, its just a matter of how much information you want to see, analog heaters were the standard for many years before digital read-out controls became available. The only 135K propane heater I know of is the Hayward and it is both digital and available for $1600 many places online. Is that an installed price?

The 47K heat pump will heat at the rate of about .5 degrees per hour IF atmospheric conditions (heat and humidity) are right so that it can get that many BTUs from the air. Ultimately they are more efficient, but you need to know their limitations.

If you go with propane you know that either size will always heat the water at the rate of about 1 degree per hour, its just a matter of how much information you want to see, analog heaters were the standard for many years before digital read-out controls became available. The only 135K propane heater I know of is the Hayward and it is both digital and available for $1600 many places online. Is that an installed price?

The 47K heat pump will heat at the rate of about .5 degrees per hour IF atmospheric conditions (heat and humidity) are right so that it can get that many BTUs from the air. Ultimately they are more efficient, but you need to know their limitations.
What kind of atmosphere conditions are we talking about? September averages upper 70s but October is mid-60s. So if I want to be swimming through the month of October I need the pool water to be in the mid to upper 80s. It doesn't need to be that high if the air temperature were warmer but obviously the colder the air temperature gets the warmer we need the water to compensate

What kind of atmosphere conditions are we talking about? September averages upper 70s but October is mid-60s. So if I want to be swimming through the month of October I need the pool water to be in the mid to upper 80s. It doesn't need to be that high if the air temperature were warmer but obviously the colder the air temperature gets the warmer we need the water to compensate
Colder the air temperature, less heat available to "pump" into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.