Above ground pool bonding

Wes7379

Apr 12, 2022
Cape Cod
Hi all, new to the forums. I am a new above ground pool owner. We had 1 cheapo above ground pool that lasted us about 2 season. This year we made the jump to a permanent 52” 18’ round Namco pool. The pool is being constructed on top of a cement slab my father built about 20 years ago for me to play basketball on. I’ve already checked and it is within 1/4” of being level. My question comes in 2 parts. First is there any reason I can’t put this pool on top of the slab in regards to bonding issues? I asked my father and he said he believes he used some left over black chain link fence in place of any rebar or wire mesh. Second part is, I know I have to run the 8 G bare copper bonding ring around the pool and connect it to 4 columns every 1/4 way around and then the pool pump. The slab is about 3 feet short in 1 direction and I will be adding on to the existing slab. I plan to drill into the old slab and install rebar to hold the slabs together. Does this rebar I add in need to be bonded together with the bonding ring I’ll be putting around the pools perimeter? Thank you all in advance for any and all help.-Wes

That's a complicated situation. Do you have an idea for how acheive the ring? Normally it is trenched around the pool.

Bonding of the rebar seems like it could substitute for the ring electrically, but is this going to be permitted and inspected or just looking to satisfy yourself that it's safe? I'm not sure what an inspector would want to see in this situation you'd probably have to reach out and ask them before deciding on a plan.

First is there any reason I can’t put this pool on top of the slab in regards to bonding issues? I asked my father and he said he believes he used some left over black chain link fence in place of any rebar or wire mesh.

Putting the pool on the concrete slab is fine.

Question will be if the slab can support the weight of the pool.

Second part is, I know I have to run the 8 G bare copper bonding ring around the pool and connect it to 4 columns every 1/4 way around and then the pool pump. The slab is about 3 feet short in 1 direction and I will be adding on to the existing slab. I plan to drill into the old slab and install rebar to hold the slabs together. Does this rebar I add in need to be bonded together with the bonding ring I’ll be putting around the pools perimeter?

Do you need to satisfy an electrical inspector in your jurisdiction or just trying to be generally safe?

You need to know what specific code applied in your jurisdiction.

The 2020 NEC 680.26(B)(2) Specifies the perimeter bonding requirements. The surface to be bonded extends for 3 feet from the inside wall of the pool.

Putting the pool on the concrete slab is fine.

Question will be if the slab can support the weight of the pool.

Can't imagine weight being a problem on the slab.. a 52" water column exerts 1.9 PSI, the weakest concrete you will find is 2000 psi crushing strength. Substraight underneath would be the bigger issue - but again, the least bearing soil is around 2000 PSF, vs 275 psf in this case for the pool.

Reactions: hwy17
By code the metal in the concrete should be bonded to the pool and water and equipment. You're lucky if it's metal mesh/chain link, as it's all tied together. All you'd have to do is chip away at an edge if it's close to the edge and clamp a wire to it. If it were individual rebar pieces there's no guarantee they're all tied together already.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.