About to try to fix leak - am I missing anything?

lhlsea

Bronze Supporter
Apr 28, 2017
Seattle, WA
EDIT: update and follow up question about plugging a skimmer hole in my reply below. Thanks!

Hi there, I was hoping to run my plan by you to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Owned the place about 7 years now. Last 2 years or so I have to add progressively more water regularly. Lately it seems like an inch a day. Much more in the summer than other times of year. We get plenty of rainfall here in Seattle outside of the summer, but even considering that the problem seems worse in the warm weather.

I have always suspected it is skimmer related because of the patches I see in there from the prior owner and because the water dropping rate is less after it get lower. But I haven’t been able to find anything with the syringe in prior years. But today I tried again and I’m now pretty sure it is leaking at least from the two locations I’ve highlighted in the photos.

My plan is to scrape off the old patches and use the epoxy I have (see photo) to try to patch those sections as best I can (which seems like it can be done underwater).

I am a bit of a novice at this so just wanted to see if there is anything I might be missing? Anything else worth trying at the moment? I’ve read many of the leak posts here so I think I’m on the right track but will take any considerations you’ve got.

Thanks so much for any advice!!

Attachments

• IMG_5709.jpeg
    IMG_5709.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5707.jpeg
    IMG_5707.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5704.jpeg
    IMG_5704.jpeg
    664.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5703.jpeg
    IMG_5703.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Update and one follow up question:

I sealed up the cracks (which were substantial once I got the old stuff off of there) and left it overnight. Looks like the water dropped a bit but too soon to tell if I fixed the problem.

Meanwhile I noticed one more thing. There appears to be a crack in the hole in my skimmer that isn’t used (afaik). See bottom hole in photo. Would it be ok to / worth plugging this hole to see if that makes a difference? Thanks so much for any thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_5710.jpeg
    IMG_5710.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.