ABG - sand filter/pump sizing

Apr 19, 2016
Richmond, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need to replace my failing pump. However, before I replace the pump I want to check if the sand filter installed by previous owners on my pool is adequate.

If I need to get a bigger filter then I may need a bigger pump. Based on the research I have done, I think I may need a 21-24 inch sand filter with 1.5 HP pump. If my current setup is adequate, I should be able to by the same 1 hp pump.

Current setup
24 ft round abg (~14500 gallons)
Heyward 180T sand filter
Hayward power Flo matrix 1 hp
~6 ft 1.5 inch hose from pool to pump
~2.5 ft 1.5 inch hose from pump to filter
~6 ft 1.5 inch hose from filter to pool

As always, thank you for your advice in advance!

Get the largest filter u can afford!
& here’s some reading on pumps

Get the largest filter u can afford!
& here’s some reading on pumps

Most of that information in the thread provided I had already read. Most of my information I found was based on some other resources I found externally and this old thread on TFP - Filter and pump size for 24x52 round pool

I decided to upgrade from the 18" filter to a 24" and upgrade from a single speed 1 hp to a 1.5 two speed. Also worth noting for others, it doesn't look like they sell two speed 1 hp pumps, at least Heyward doesn't seem to carry them.

Here is what I ended up purchasing:
- Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Above Ground Pool Pump 2 Speed | 1.5HP w/Switch | W3SP15932S

-
43299Hayward Pro Series Top Mount Sand Filter 24" Tank Includes 1.5" Top Mount Vari-Flo Valve | W3S244T

My outstanding question is about the two speed, is "low" going to be sufficient for my setup in normal operation and "high" for vacuuming?

Most of that information in the thread provided I had already read. Most of my information I found was based on some other resources I found externally and this old thread on TFP - Filter and pump size for 24x52 round pool

I decided to upgrade from the 18" filter to a 24" and upgrade from a single speed 1 hp to a 1.5 two speed. Also worth noting for others, it doesn't look like they sell two speed 1 hp pumps, at least Heyward doesn't seem to carry them.

Here is what I ended up purchasing:
- Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Above Ground Pool Pump 2 Speed | 1.5HP w/Switch | W3SP15932S

-
transpacer1.gif
transpacer1.gif
transpacer1.gif
transpacer1.gif
transpacer1.gif
43299Hayward Pro Series Top Mount Sand Filter 24" Tank Includes 1.5" Top Mount Vari-Flo Valve | W3S244T

My outstanding question is about the two speed, is "low" going to be sufficient for my setup in normal operation and "high" for vacuuming?
Yes - that’s what most do & should be most efficient in your case.
They are phasing out some sizes of single speed pool pumps from what I understand.
The point of having the oversized filter is so you don’t have to backwash as often. For reference I have a 27k gal pool & a 250# sand filter & i need to backwash about every 3 weeks when pressure rises 25%. So you will likely be able to go a while w/out backwashing with such a large filter for your volume.
It was the largest they offered where I bought my pool. They also only offered a 1.5hp single speed pump. When it goes i’ll be getting the one u mentioned.
I think you’ll be quite happy with that set up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.