Abalone shells "dissolve" over time, true?

FloridaRes

May 12, 2023
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all,

we are about to have our plaster installed this coming weekend, still haven't decided to go with a Quartz finish (exposed aggregate, Marquis) or mini pebbles (Freestone). However, we would love the glitter effect of the abalone shells, but we have now been told by the application team, that these might "dissolve" over time, because they are not made for the pool chemistry environment, i.e. they will disappear over time and create small holes where they previously were. Is that something any of you have experienced?

The shells will not be added to the mix, but spread by hand just before the last trowel during the application, since the shells at the bottom of the plaster is not visible anyway.

Thanks

Also the abalone shells will turn black. I have had 3 removed from my plaster because of the staining. I would suggest NOT to add them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.