A look back at my pool rebuild

kicksavedave

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
So I moved into a new (40 year old) house in October last year that had a gunnite pool in really rough shape. Tons of stains, chips, rust, missing tiles, etc. It had a PoolSafe pool cover which the previous owner told me "stopped working a while ago". The pool equipment was also antique, when I tried the jet pump it sparked and blew a breaker, the lights "never worked" per the previous owner, no automation, single speed pumps and a lot of rust. The deck around the pool was also in rough shape, cracks, peeling coating that I was told would be impossible to remove and replace well. On the deck the old system of French drains didn't work so various corners filled up with muddy water after any rain or splash event. Finally, the deck and pool had come separated by a lot (3/4"?) in some palces and there was no proper coping to allow for expansion. I knew all this going in to the purchase and it was factored into the price of the house - true fixer upper inside and out, so come January it was time to set about resurfacing and rebuilding it all. Pretty much the only thing that would stay was the pool shell itself.

I got 4 quotes, three of them in a decent range and one that simply threw me an outrageous number because he told me he was already "too busy". All were highly rated and offered references. The lowest quote ticked me off a bit with a change in terms the day after he quoted, the highest quote took weeks to get back to me and I had already written him off when he finally sent me his bid. The middle quote was the best pitch, best presentation, and it was the owner not a sales rep so I went with him. He matched the lowest bid plus $1K so I signed.

Here goes:

Old pool, looks OK from a distant picture but up close it was rotten.

170032444_3_0.jpg

Day 1-3: Concrete demo. I pity these fools. We have about 5 steep steps from the backyard so no heavy equipment. Jackhammers and wheelbarrows and elbow grease. They made a ramp, filled a wheelbarrow and got a head start to run the thing up the ramp. Brutal work. They crushed it all in 1.5 days and removed it all by day 3.
20180123_131814.jpg
20180123_131805.jpg
20180123_153646.jpg

The space at the top right corner between the stairs, with the wooden frame, was an old deck that had long ago been removed. We'll come back to that later.
20180123_153642.jpg

Day 5/6: Deck all cleared, and the gunnite chipped out, partially removed:
20180129_142014.jpg
20180129_142020.jpg

To Be Continued

Attachments

• 20180205_115831.jpg
    20180205_115831.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 375
The PB who is primarily a concrete guy originally suggested I go with what he called "TopCast". They spray some acid on the concrete after its smoothed fully and let it sit overnight, then pressure wash it off the next day. It leaves a nice, fine aggregate look to it, more cool than simply brooming.

OK, remember that old deck area that had rebar sticking out and a terrible pile of mud collecting in the corners. My wife and the PB conspired to form that into a solid concrete bench. It came out great and provides the only real seating on that side of the pool, overlooking the view of the winery and valley below. They used some of the old deck crumbs as fill which saved them 3 wheelbarrows to remove:smile:

We took this time to add another pool light, an autofill, and overflow, and those new drains, plus we had some rain, so two weeks go by before we pour the deck. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 20180205_115831.jpg
    20180205_115831.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 354
  • 20180205_115742.jpg
    20180205_115742.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 360
  • 20180205_143801.jpg
    20180205_143801.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 360
  • 20180206_095424.jpg
    20180206_095424.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 356
  • 20180205_144253.jpg
    20180205_144253.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 357
  • 20180205_115827.jpg
    20180205_115827.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 354
Ok, these attachements aren't working right and I can't delete them. Mods can delete those attachments if possible (not that important) so I could try to post inline again.

Anyway....

Day 14, deck pour. Same TopCast finish. This is where I put all those umbrella holders, perfectly placed for the sun that arcs across the sky, in FEBRUARY! First mistake. Should have placed them for July sun. Oh well, they still work, but they aren't in the perfect spots around the spa.

20180219_074605(0).jpg

20180219_074605.jpg

20180219_080542.jpg

20180219_112631.jpg

TopCast going on.
20180219_112643.jpg

TopCast washed off the next day.
20180220_100427.jpg

Remember that bench we poured? Here it is.
20180226_105334.jpg

More to come, but I need to go pick up dinner. Sit tight :)

Back from dinner:)

So next comes tile. PB sent us the NPT catalog. We made our choice. Later that days he says "They're discontinued, try again." We made another choice. Another day goes by, we get this answer: They're out of stock, it will take 5-6 weeks, whaddya wanna do"? Ugh, ok. Oh by the way, I didn't really love either of the first choices - matte black, then glossy black, not really pool like, but my wife thought they would work well with the pure concrete color deck. Anyway, her third choice is a nice blue stone tile... NPT Oxide, Blue. Here is a sample. She liked it because the sample image had a concrete coping and they worked together. In stock, bingo, done!

Tile guy gets things going and we love it. 6x6 tiles, but they won't fit like that on top of the spa wall, which is 7.5" wide, so we settled on cutting them roughly in half and doing a stagger pattern.

Here are the 6x6 tiles:
20180226_105339.jpg

And the spa tiles after being cut.
20180304_084853.jpg
20180304_084844.jpg

In the end we LOVED this tile.

Oh by the way, my almost 3 year old son loved watching "the guys" as they were doing all this work. He used to wake up and ask "Are the guys here" and when they finally showed up he'd get so excited. He especially loved watching the "cement mixer" when it showed up.
20180219_082531.jpg
20180219_083006.jpg

Pool equipment goes next, but what are we going to do with all this leftover tile? How about we stick it around that bench. Maybe a few cushions too. Some umbrella holders, yeah, that works great.
20180513_154230.jpg

So the pool equipment wasn't very sexy, and was limited by the existing in ground plumbing, but we got new variable speed jandy stuff, SWG, RS8 automation with iAqualink, cartridge filter. The heater was relatively new and in good shape so we kept it, even though it was propane and we have natural gas to the house, it was going to be impossible to run a NG line out there. PB painted all the PVC black for UV protection. Doesn't look great but it all works perfectly. The standing water is from me opening the lid while it was running. I don't recommend doing that.
20180422_171754.jpg

We basically went from a bunch of these, rusty, loose and dangerous.
HTD-Zodiac-Jandy-Polaris-pool-upgrade-43-1024x639.jpg

To this, simple clean and functional.
AqualinkControlPanel.jpg

Next page please.

OK, guess we're ready for Pebble Tec now... hey, where's my PB gone? Yep, flaked on me for almost a month. Anyway, he said he got sick, blah blah, and he finally scheduled pebble. We selected NPTs Midnight Blue, because it was similar to our last pool which we liked the water color.

Here it goes - these guys were a well oiled machine. 9 dudes, all but one working their butts off. I bought them lunch and they threw in the shimmering sea sparkly stuff for free. The spread it in the wet plaster by hand from a brown paper bag, and they called it "feeding the chicken". Subsequently, they made clucking sounds the rest of the day.
View attachment 83713
20180421_075207.jpg

20180421_090409.jpg

20180421_105254.jpg

20180421_115216.jpg

Pebble surface all installed, this was a Saturday.
20180421_170921.jpg

View attachment 83719

Sunday one single dude with his wife showed up to acid wash the pebble surface and prep for fill.
View attachment 83720
20180422_085605.jpg

20180422_092727.jpg
View attachment 83721

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, after some startup drama, where the PB told me I was on my own, and then I showed him the signed contract that clearly includes "pool startup", and he begrudgingly agrees to send "his best guy" out, I spent a day in sheer panic and thats when I found this site. Pool Guy comes out, and while I'm learning to startup the pool on here, I'm able to observe that he's actually doing everything right, so I let him do his thing, but I keep an eye on it all. He shows me his readings and tells me what he's going to do, and it pretty well jives with TFP, so I walk myself away from the ledge, slowly.

So now I have to wait a MONTH? Holy canoli, I can't wait a month? Brush brush brush, twice a day, almost no dust coming out, looking good. 30 days feels like 300 days. Add CYA, add salt, crank up SWG, Honey, I think we have a pool.

Oh yeah, the first day after the fill, but before Pool Guy comes out, the filter/pump/electronics guy comes out to crank up the pumps and get iAqualink going. We both notice the pool is pretty green, not blue. He tells me "Oh, thats just the color its going to be, if you wanted blue you should have gone with a lighter color pebble. " My heart sunk. My wife was irate. I mean, we chose the color, but the color of the water was not what was advertised at all, nor was it what our old pool looked like. What on earth is going on? Well, next day Pool Guy shows up to startup, Pool Guy says its just the algae in your city water, we'll clear it up. He adds some bleach. Overnight, the water goes from green, to clear and blue. Filter/pump/electronics guy was wrong. He should stick to filters and pumps and not pebbles.

Here is the finished pool, sparkly and blue with hints of aqua at certain times and sunlight. Despite a few headaches with the PB, the quality of work was first class and everything runs like a top. And thanks to TFP, I'm my own Pool Guy now, and its been crystal clear, perfectly balanced and trouble free since then. Oh yeah, that PoolSafe cover that wasn't working when I moved in, well it was just a loose/broken wire in the key switch. 5 minutes with a screwdriver and a wire stripper and it works perfectly. It keeps the pool spotless clean and helped it warm up quickly. Despite it reaching 97 lately in the water, we stil swim in it almost every day, at night usually during the week, or all day on the weekends. I love the "new" old pool, and TFP has already saved me a ton of work and money. Thanks TFP.

Here you go.
20180424_175650.jpg
View attachment 83726

View attachment 83727
20180427_170338.jpg

My Son loves to get in, but he was willing to pose without his "floaties" this one time. (swimsuit photshopped in to avoid the TFP nudity censors :)
View attachment 83728
20180424_175938-shorts.jpg

And here he is playing with the water shooter, pretending to be a movie star.

Thanks for reading, and thanks once again for TFP!

Short on time so will only talk about pics as I have to see them! LOVE everything about this thread!

Look at the top of this page for "Photo Gallery", click on it.
-look in the dark blue line towards the top for "Upload images"
-browse and find the pics you want to upload to our server
-click on "add images" on the bottom of page
-click on save all (Don't forget this one like I did! LOL)

When I have more time I will help you upload them to your posts.

Your kid is SO cute!!!! Your pool SO pretty!!!!

LOVE the bench and was hoping you would do the tile there!

Kim:kim:

Short on time so will only talk about pics as I have to see them! LOVE everything about this thread!

Look at the top of this page for "Photo Gallery", click on it.
-look in the dark blue line towards the top for "Upload images"
-browse and find the pics you want to upload to our server
-click on "add images" on the bottom of page
-click on save all (Don't forget this one like I did! LOL)

When I have more time I will help you upload them to your posts.

Your kid is SO cute!!!! Your pool SO pretty!!!!

LOVE the bench and was hoping you would do the tile there!

Thanks Kim for the kind words :) I think I have the pics uploaded (again) and they seems to me showing up. Can you confirm?

:cheers:

See this smile? :sun: It is me looking at the pics!!! THANKS!

That water looks awesome! You are doing a great job with it!

For cooling the water.................Skippy's New Fountain You can make something like this. Your son will LOVE It and it will cool your pool water. If you run it a night it will cool it even more. Just remember this will also push your pH up so keep a real close eye on that. Your new plaster will also push the pH up as it cures so......knowledge is power. You know you can use muriatic acid to lower the pH.

Do you have a good place to store the m. acid? It cannot be stored with chlorine/bleach as they do not play well together. You also need to keep your little man away from it as it is yucky stuff. Several people get a small resin box that can be locked to put it in outside. You also do not want it by metal as the fumes can cause rust. The cap is vented so the fumes can escape.

So where does that gate on the other side of the pool go? Is that a grassy play area? I would love to see more pics of the whole area. it is SO pretty. That view............WOW!

Of course any G-rated (LOL) pics of your little man and dog are welcome as well!

Fantastic remodel job! I love the solution you came up with for the top of the spa. It's so pretty, and your view. Stunning. (I'm thinking that's overlooking the old Fallbrook Golf Course? We're just down the road from you in Bonsall.) I wish I had known about this site when we built our pool 16 years ago - a lot of trial and error before finding it. Happy swimming!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.