A Leak Question

Cinquefoil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2009
Fairfax, VA
I need a new liner, but that's a project for next year.

I'm trying to find a serious leak. 33,000 gal 40x20 in-ground pool, vinyl liner. The leak is 70-100 gallons per hour, 2 inches per day, with the pump on or off, and the pump valves open or closed. The pool will drain itself below the vacuum suction and returns, and to the middle of the lights at a fairly constant rate over several days. It may have kept going down, but I stopped that test because I didn't want to leave less than a foot of water in the shallow end. I've been dye-testing every fixture and potential leak spot I can find. Already removed the main drain cover and both light inserts. No luck with dye anywhere yet. it's an old pool - no recirc line from the main drain to a skimmer or pump.

What I did find is a split in the liner on the slope between the shallow and deep end. A foot long and up to a quarter-inch wide. Found it because my vacuum brush really pulled hard when I touched it. I was ecstatic as I thought I had found the leak and could just tape it up until next year. However.... try as I might from less than an inch away, dye will not flow into it.

A question for anyone who has seen a tear in a liner on the pool floor... Does the weight of the water on the surrounding vinyl create a seal so that water does not flow through the tear? Thanks in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.