A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Marla the only thing I think I would change is the plants by the wall. That area would be a mess for me to keep up with. Everything would die and have to be replaced all of the time :( I have such a black thumb. I see lots of wall art there instead!

Amazon.com - Essential Home Essence Live, Laugh, Love Wall Sconce Set (3 Piece) -

Amazon.com - Hosleys Set of Three Iron T-Lite Wall Sconces -

Amazon.com - Adeco Iron and Glass Horizontal Wall Hanging Candle Holder Sconce, Scolled Vine Detail, Holds 5 Tea Lights -

OR these:

Amazon.com - Live Love Laugh Set 3 Wall Mount Metal Wall Word Sculpture, Wall Decor -

with these hanging off of the eves:

Solar Outdoor String Lights 20 LED Warm White Lattern Ball Christmas Globle lights fo Garden Path Party - - Amazon.com

I see that wall as a work of art that can be changed as wanted or season or because I found something else for you to buy! LOL

Kim

Thanks Mamiamjo! Yes, I think the PB made great use of the small space. It's hard to get the right balance of pool and deck in a small yard. The above design has the pool at 18 x 16-6. We will probably lay it out in our yard and see if we can squeeze in more pool.

Denise- yes we do love it! There were some things in his bid that weren't included, like the sewer reroute (existing sewer line runs right thru the pool), but gave us approximate costs (We could contract directly with their subs for the work). So we are going to start looking at total numbers now. All designs have come within budget, but of course, we haven't upgraded anything yet! LOL!

Thanks Kim for the wall art idea! We actually have quite a bit of it now hanging on the fence. So, we will probably still incorporate it somewhere. I am going to steal Suz's Texas star idea and include one in my deck. Suz- hope you don't mind! I have just the spot for it.

Well I guess we will need to make a decision soon. Haven't heard anything from PB2, so I guess he is not interested. This is getting exciting, but kinda scary at the same time. Did y'all feel the same way?

Scary- yes! We really just have 1 PB (so not much of a choice) but we keep hearing great things about them. Have not heard anything negative.

I would do lots of wall art too, as I also have a black thumb.

Well PB 2 just contacted me and needs to see the backyard again. He has been sick and now is running behind in his work. So maybe next week I'll have something from him.

I don't have a black thumb. I'm just kinda lazy when it comes to weeding and such. I want something I can plant and then not have to worry about too much. The philodendron will definitely move and I have a variegated lemon tree and an avocado tree in pots that I would like to plant. Also, if we can save any of the plants we already have back there that would be great, but if not, oh well.

Last edited:
Well PB 2 just contacted me and needs to see the backyard again. He has been sick and now is running behind in his work. So maybe next week I'll have something from him.

I don't have a black thumb. I'm just kinda lazy when it comes to weeding and such. I want something I can plant and then not have to worry about too much. The philodendron will definitely move and I have a variegated lemon tree and an avocado tree in pots that I would like to plant. Also, if we can save any of the plants we already have back there that would be great, but if not, oh well.

I don't know what kind of sun you have where you need to plant, but I absolutely love the Drift Roses the landscaper put in. I've never had them before, and they are so carefree. They have been blooming since July! Remind me if you want updates later on how well they go through our mild winters. I'm wondering if they will keep blooming.....

Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really like the designs... Have you considered adding any "spool" features? A couple of jets on a bench and maybe a blower?

Great idea!!!! I'd rank jets on a bench over water features if I had to make a choice. Just sayin'..... I'll take in-water enjoyment over aesthetics. But better yet, get both!!

Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

Plat.... any more spool features???

Marla, water shooting from a pipe into a body of water is surprisingly loud. This is exactly what we have with our temporary frog pond setup -- the return line just shoots out water into the plastic pool the PB lent us. In our original pond, we directed the hose over rocks in a waterfall and the sound was definitely more pleasing. But I absolutely love the look in that second design you posted!

Plat.... any more spool features???

More Jets? LOL.

Foot jets?

A semi-reclined bench?

We're going to try and do this in our build in a seating area right next to the spa. Hoping to see if there is any way to take advantage of the spa pump plumbing. It would be for a "cool water" zone. Turn on the jets and bubbles and just relax. Meanwhile the spa can stay warm/hot.

My main point on this really was to maybe borrow those key elements from a spa (jets and air) to add an extra dimension to the pool without actually adding a spa.

plat.

Plat, those are good suggestions! Wonder how much they'd cost though... My hubby just looks at me when I say "Maybe we can add ..." He's more worried about the sewer and electrical!

Suz, definitely remind me about the Drift Roses. Sounds wonderful!

Thanks Amanda! Good to see you!

Hubby just said he wants a dark blue pool, like PebbleSheen Midnight Blue. But I don't know if it'll be allowed per city of Houston code.

Minimum Standards for Residential Pool/Spa Plan Submission

6. Plaster color should be white or other light color to ensure an eight inch black disk placed on the floor of the deepest part is visible.

Don't know if this color would work. Blue Smurf may be back in the running.

Marla, as I read over and over.... it's amazing how you can see the deep end with these pebble finishes. I just didn't really believe it. Blue Granite is a medium color, and I can easily see a quarter on the bottom of the deep end. An eight inch black disk would be easy on the darker colors - but maybe not the midnight colors. I think that would be easy to test. If you can see a solid black disc of any size on the samples, I feel sure you could see it in the pool. Does your builder use only PebbleTec? It seems to me that WetEdge has more shades within the colors. Maybe you can find one between the Smurf and the Midnight. I would definitely want a darker finish if I built another pool. I discovered in my old age, I like the pool much warmer than in my younger years!!

Suz.

Suz, PB 3 & 4 only deal with PebbleTec. PB 1 does Wetedge and I'm not sure about PB 2. Of course we would look at pools before we'd decide. We still have to decide on a design and PB! So I am getting a bit ahead of myself on this! Realistically, we probably won't start construction until January.

I just looked at the PebbleTec site. It doesn't look like they have one that's really a blue between the Blue Surf and the Midnight. Well, like you said.... you've got plenty of time! Just be sure to get the Shimmering Sea Shells! You'll love those!
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.