A friend of mine has a second home and has used the puck method for 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walk around his pool. Look just above the waterline. I suspect somewhere you will see a hole -- either 1/2 or 3/4 inch just above the waterline. Thats an overflow. So his pool is draining all the time. With the amount of FL rain it keeps his CYA in control. Have you asked him what his CYA is?

I ask him and he has never drained his pool at all.

With 65" of rainfall a year his pool is either enclosed so it does not get rainfall or it is replacing that amount of water with rain each year on average. He could have a leak, an overflow drain he doesn't know about, or he is flat out mistaken about his water replacement if the pool is an outdoor pool.

I
Why has thiis never happen to him????
2. Trichlor - Commonly sold as tablets or pucks that you simply put into an automatic container that passes pool water over them and they slowly dissolve - putting chlorine and CYA into your water and lowers the pH. They are incredibly convenient and incredibly insidious. The CYA that they put into your pool water doesn't get used up, and instead accumulates. Eventually the CYA level will build up to a point that renders your chlorine ineffective. Typically, everything is fine, until one day you start to develop algae and don't understand why.

- - - Updated - - -

He visits his his second home about every three weeks and has never had a single issue with algae.

There are only a few reasons why this would be the case.

He dilutes more than he says or thinks from rain/backwash, or otherwise.
He isn't telling the truth about Algae outbreaks, or he forgot he had some.
He's got better luck than you need to win 3 lotteries.

Take your pick of any or all.

I think this thread has run its course. It is clear we are not going to get to the details surrounding the original pool in question. There is no point in continued speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.