A few tile fell off taking large chunks of gunite

Dec 27, 2010
El Dorado Hills, CA
Looking for advice. I noticed a single tile off in my skimmer. It quickly turned into several with fairly large chunks of gunite (I assume that’s what it is) coming off. I am pretty handy but this looks complex. Looking for advice and / or a name of someone in the greater Sacramento area that could fix this. My pool is 23 years old and is pebble tec.

Attachments

• IMG_3027.jpeg
    IMG_3027.jpeg
    553.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3026.jpeg
    IMG_3026.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 23
If you want to do a cleaner job then use an oscillating tool with a grout and mortar removal blade and chip off all the old thinset down to the gunite in the area. Also use it to clean off the back of the tile.

You will then see how much thinset was used to build up the wall the tile was on.

I don’t see any grout between the tiles on the skimmer mouth.

Clean up the area and use thinset and grout to build up the corner even if you need to round it off a bit.

Last edited:
I think my issue is worse. The gunite on the top row has broken off. The whole corner is gone.
Looking at the picture it looks like the area was built up with thinset which isn't typically made to be installed that thick. If you have a grinder, you can clean up the area with that then back cut it some to create a "key" . fill that missing area with hydraulic cement and let that cure then use thin set no deeper than .25" to reset the tiles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.