A Deep Pool Build in Peoria, AZ -- finished, working on chem balance!

Re: A Deep Pool Build in Peoria, AZ -- it finally started!

Awesome answer. Exactly what I need to know. Thanks! I'm going to do sand and skip concrete, looks like it will be a lot cheaper as well as having future repair benefits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Looks great!
What are all the pipes on the bottom of the pool? Do you have returns on the bottom as well? All I have is returns on the sides and a drain at the bottom.
Thanks.

G

Looks great!
What are all the pipes on the bottom of the pool? Do you have returns on the bottom as well? All I have is returns on the sides and a drain at the bottom.
Thanks.

G

Those are in-floor cleaners. This is the system that was installed: A&A In-floor (QuikClean/MagnaSweep) | A and A Manufacturing | Pool Cleaning Products

Update on pool:

They started building the stone dive board platform with poured concrete molds (will post pics later). Now waiting on waterline tile to go in today or Monday, and then coping and decking. I babysat that pool and watered it all 4th of July weekend long, actually ended up missing one BBQ because of it, lol. BBQ < Pool! :mrgreen:

First setback?? :(

So while taking pictures of the dive pad/base concrete work, I noticed that it looked way off centered from the rest of the pool when looking at the light. I brought out a tape measure to see just how off it was only to find, to my surprise, that the concrete base itself was perfectly centered. Then it dawned on me, it's the pool light that's way off! I jumped down into the deep end and measured the light from corner to corner, it's about 6-7 inches off! WHAT A BUMMER!

YJhZKA0.jpg

wOU4WAF.jpg

YUCK

I immediately sent off an email to my PB about the findings and how aesthetically unpleasing this was, and asked how they could fix it.

TFP, is this a problem that is even fixable at this point in time? The pool has been curing for over a week now :( Do I have to accept it as is or risk the pool shell integrity as a fix??

Just exactly how screwed am I here?

Thanks for any input :(

Re: A Deep Pool Build in Peoria, AZ -- Light troubles :(

I'm beginning to realize that there is one level below "close enough for government work" and that is "close enough for pool work". Having said that, although you notice it right away now, I'm thinking once the water is in, if you didn't know it wasn't centered, you wouldn't know it wasn't centered. If ya get what I mean . . .

I'd be upset like you are, but I'd probably live with it at this point.

Oh yeah. I'm pretty upset. This is like basic pool fail, not doing measurements to center a focal piece like the light is so lazy. This is a geometric pool too.

Ugh. So what should I do? Ask for big concessions from the builder? Insist on a fix? Im not even sure what the monetary value of this sort of screw up is worth....

I'm sure the PB would not like pics of this with their name attached though.

I'd be hesitant to try moving the light at this point. Maybe move the diving board to line up with the light? Which do you think would be more noticeable: the diving board being centered but not lined up with the light, or the diving board and light lined up, but not centered?

The diving board must be centered. The light, though unfortunate, is what it is. I absolutely would not request it to be fixed. But I would work some sort of concession or bargaining leeway on something else. There will be 'something else' in all likelihood before it's all said and done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Right now the light niche is probably located between two verts (rebar). Moving it over will probably require cutting one. You don't have a double mat there so you'll lose some reinforcement in that wall. He'll also have to dig down behind the shell to relocate the conduit over and guess what's over top of that spot . . . ?

Temping as it is to make him do it over, I'm thinking I wouldn't. But that might be his gambit as well. "I offered to redo it and you refused so I don't owe you anything else in exchange". Yeah, construction makes me that cynical. LOL! Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

It would make me mad too. However if that is not your main location where you will be looking you will never even notice it. I wouldn't have them try and move it at this point, but I would see if the builder would be willing to make up for the mistake. Nice pool btw.

Thank you guys for the responses! Keeping me sane ?So no one has had their shell fixed after a mistake with the initial shotcrete? Bad results?

I'm meeting with the project manager tommorow to go over our options. We'll see what he says.

I'm thinking if i do (big if) have them fix it, then i will want an extended warranty on the pool shell as well. I will bring up the concerns you all mentioned and weigh the pros and cons.

I'll update with what happens.

That sucks, man. Sorry to see that. I'd probably have them fix it, especially since they seem willing to do so. That light will drive you crazy forever. Concessions (which will probably be insignificant) won't change that fact and you will regret not taking the opportunity to correct the problem.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

::epds::

Updated pics. They finished all the tile line, most of the stacked stone for the water feature and most of the coping. I'm very pleased with how pretty the stacked stone looks and how it's all coming together [emoji1]

I spoke to the PB project manager and he says they can fix the light. That they have done multiple rehabs and moved them before and that he will drill in new supportive rebar. Theres a risk but he claims theyve never had an issue on their rehabs, plus they warranty the shell for life (the pb has been around 25 years). I'm leaning towards having them fix it because it just bugs me otherwise... it will only need to be shifted about 3-4 inches to center.

8b1a964cbe8ca1caebf5e17f50d746c7.jpg

8d2ea6830b308749af50c94368ab6951.jpg

a93bcc61c832a2cb2b1ed2e2840108e7.jpg

6e2fd14ab7ae4f66c855d5d69473a5a9.jpg

6986a50cf1e94612726e4bf900a02c8d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

They started laying the travertine pavers over the concrete patio today and also finished the water feature.

My one concern is that the pavers were laid directly onto the concrete patio without a sand base. My contractor says they will lay the sand after? Is that typically how travertine pavers are installed on existing concrete? Thoughts?

12893d938351c8df8e77993df8a7f5dd.jpg

When I step on them they shifted and clanked against each other and the bare concrete below. Made me nervous.

e4153e4a0c8379710ffe665cb6acc4ef.jpg

51e05da2d993e6d242acf415f9f7a274.jpg

Found your build and read through it. That's going to be beautiful! I love the waterline tile. I think you're doing the right thing having them fix the light. I'd probably have it fixed too. Progress!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like they are dry-fitting all of the travertine. Haven't seen it done before but so long as they pull it all back up and sand to level, it will be fine.

Thanks twinkiesmommy! ??just gotta keep going!

Ok good, my contractor said the same, bmore. Good to know. I feel a bit better about it. The concrete is from the new build of the house too, so it's perfectly flat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.