A Cheap Pool Cooler for the end of Summer

AnthonySylvan puts a hose bibb between pump and filter. Pool hit 84°F today so I am going to try hitching a hose to an oscillating sprinkler or two aimed at the pool and see what that does. If not, 55° well water always works. Then I just use some pucks and Cal-Hypo to maintain balance.

Great idea!
Yeah that is a bit warm for me, but the wife likes it hot (the pool, that is).
I may consider it for later in the summer -
With the water situation what it can be in N TX, I kinda hate to evaporate any of it, but cooler WOULD be really REALLY nice

I disagree, it also working great even in Humid climate, I am in Houston, where the humidity is above 90+ Technically, if you get more spray than fountain with small holes less than 1/8" actually 1/16" measured, which I have purchased pool cooler kit locally, and it looks like machined holes drilled in such a accurate pattern that can create a very wider spray angle of 10 to 15 ft on my pool, and it drop the temperature down to not couple of degree, but cools my pool water dropping 7+ degree,
Worth money I Spend $ 29 only which is paid off immediately. No need to spend big money on Chillers.

This is a great idea, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. If you're in a very humid area it won't help a lot (that said, a degree or two F can make the difference between refreshing and not). I'm just across the lake from New Orleans so it's 80-90+ % RH in the dog days and I don't get much evaporative cooling. The other thing is, this will drive your pH up; not a big deal for some but a PITA for others.

I could never figure out why, but mine seemed to leave the pH alone. I only ran it in the daytime (so it could be observed.....the 25 foot spray would easily blow out of the pool if the wind came up) but it never seemed to alter the pH significantly.

I should add that that large pool was pretty pH stable.....only needed a gallon of acid 2-3 times a season, usually just two.

On or about January 1, 2015, we moved from Raleigh to Sebring, Florida. The test kit business is still managed (and always will be) in Raleigh but my permanent residence has switched to Sebring.

I moved here to keep a closer eye on all the Floridians we have on this forum. The Texans are too numerous and too incorrigible and cannot be saved but I have high hopes for Florida. :shock::shock:

• Haha
Reactions: GDN
I don't live in Raleigh anymore but it has been smokin hot up there. In the close to nine years of managing that Raleigh pool, the temp never went over 88 thanks to that $5.00 pool cooler.

PS - the ice NEVER works unless you have a REALLY small pool.

I don't live in Raleigh anymore but it has been smokin hot up there. In the close to nine years of managing that Raleigh pool, the temp never went over 88 thanks to that $5.00 pool cooler.

PS - the ice NEVER works unless you have a REALLY small pool.

Or REALLY big ice!:D

Any chance you could post close-ups of your sprinkler, to get a better idea of how to put one together? Apologies if I missed it in the thread, but, if it was there, I missed it... Thx!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe. If your pH is already a bit low (less than say 7.4), the aeration from a fountain like this will raise the pH and have little affect on your current TA. What is your current pH and TA?
I added a fountain like this to my return jet and it is not raising the ph at all! The pool pump is on for 10 hours a day. The ph has dropped down to 6.5!!! I have added borax to bring it up. The TA today was 180

I added a fountain like this to my return jet and it is not raising the ph at all! The pool pump is on for 10 hours a day. The ph has dropped down to 6.5!!! I have added borax to bring it up. The TA today was 180
Likely, you are using pucks. Discontinue their use and pH will begin to rise.

Reactions: TimTucker
Dave - I may be 13 years too late, but I'll stroke your ego a bit! :) Great post here - exactly the idea I am looking for to get my miserably hot TX pool cooled off. I want to create something similar but I am worried about the level of shenanigans that go on in my pool and its potential to destroy those return valves and cause permanent damage. I have 2 teenage boys and a dog that thinks she's a dock diving champ. I assume it is probably a really bad idea to put this contraption in a place where it will get bumped into constantly. Am I overthinking or is this a legitimate concern?

Instead of using one of the return valves that are near the surface of the main body of my pool, I am thinking of using the one return valve that is at the bottom of my attached spa (given less horseplay goes on in the spa). So I'm thinking of a capital T (long PVC going straight from bottom of spa up to about 18 inches above the water line, then connecting to a T so that there is a 2-3 foot bar that is horizontal to the pool surface and then sprays at about a 45 degree angle upwards from the spa to the pool. Thoughts? Just looking for validation that i'm on the right track, or any words of wisdom or caution.

Cheers... Matt

Attachments

• 2A86140C-98A2-4368-978E-6B6ACE731375.jpeg
    2A86140C-98A2-4368-978E-6B6ACE731375.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 69

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.