A brand new pool for a first timer in Curacao

Curacaopool

Jul 16, 2023
Curacao
Hi
I am bran new here and in the pool world.
We bought a house in Curacao and are in the process of renovation and adding a pool. It will be a concrete pool basically above ground, flush with the upper floor deck. We have a local builder who made many pools but I like to understand what I am doing and try to avoid mistakes.

There are two main parts I don't fully understand and would like to ask input for.
We will have poured concrete surfaces on the deck and the pool deck.

We keep running into two issues that may be interconnected.

What coping to use (if any) and what to do with the deck surface in regard of being slippery (not built yet).

The builder sent me on a wild goose hunt to choose coping. I have no idea what I am looking for. Internet research says I need coping and concrete is the easiest and cheapest (but cracking is an issue). When I asked my builder he wasn't happy with pooted bullnose as it would make a lot of work framing. I honestly don't know. Would a normal pored concrete square work? Or should I push for a different solution? Keep in mind I do have to import pretty much any solution.

The other question is regarding concrete surface. The better half has very askew views of stamped concrete and I am not sure the builder has a lot of experience with it. We do have plain concrete all over the house and I like the look everywhere but on a pool deck I am worried about being slippery. When I bring it up with the builder he says when wet everything is slippery. When I being up broomed concrete he says it's messy and will make a lot of dirt. Similar with rock salt. Other options are tile but then I have a different look and finish, the rubber stuff that gets laid on thick or composite which may get hot as heck.
Is there any good way of treating plain concrete to be less slippery without massively changing the look? And how to incorporate the coping?

Or please point me in any direction of a good solution.

Please forgive grammar and spelling, English is my second language and this is a very new topic for me.

If I am unclear please ask and I rephrase.
And if I do something dumb just tell me please. I can handle straight talk.

Thank you!

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230716-081627.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230716-081627.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 33
Hi and welcome to TFP! What a fun but stressful time in your life. I am glad you found TFP this early in your search.

Coping/decking-concrete with a very light broom brush would work great. It will not be slippery at all and not cause any dirt build up if it is just a very light broom brushing.

Three are many types of coping such as cantilever, poured in place and pre cast.
Cantilever may be the least expensive since it’s the least labor intensive. but still has to be framed prior to the pour.
The concrete surface all depends on the final type of finish that’s going to be applied. A broom finish can be very fine depending on the type of broom used to give the final finish. Some concrete finishes are done after the concrete has dried and a chemical applied and washed off to give the finish needed.

Hi all,

I am back with more issues. I added the "drawing". The measurements are in M but I can give you the Approx feet. the pool is about 27 feet long and wougly 11 feet wide (building regulations dont allow for more width and therefore I maxed out the length. I add some pictures to give an idea why I have an entrance issue.
I have to find a safe entrance and exit toward the house. The pictures show the originally planed pool framing. Neighbor filed an injunction and has a chance, so rather instead of waiting for the courts to decide, I use his own words and change the build to what he claims is legal and make the pool less wide (15ft down to 10) but longer. Now we are at about 27ft long and 10ish wide [please see drawing. The New "Deck" has wire fencing. That part is safe.
But I need a good way to get in and out of the pool from what I call entrance deck. The pool will be only about 4 foot deep on that end. So I was thinking something gradual like a beach entrance. I do have a dog, and though he isnt allowed I have to deal with him possibly falling in and when I am not there and he needs a way out. Also good for kids and older people. I know it looks like I have enough space from the main part of the Terasse, I dont. the headroom clearing is too low at about 6foot. If you look closely thats why we cut out the roof on what I marked as entrance deck. The pool pic1 shows a about 6foot person standing there.
English not being my first language doesnt help I guess, but I hope I made it relatively clear. I can post more pics if needed. The second drawing marks in red the part of the pool I can not use.

My main issue is the entrance. Is this space I drew in in green enough for a beach style entrance? Particularly where the green lines meet. That space is about 10x10.
Help please, my neighbor really threw a wrench into my plan, but he may be correct regarding whats allowed. I am grateful for any insight, even hard truth.pool2.jpgpool1.jpgpool3.jpgpool4.jpgpool5.jpgpool drawing.PNGpool drawing entrance.PNG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.