My name is Steve. My wife and I just bought a new home with an existing in-ground pool. It is an 18 x 46, Sylvan cement pool, installed around 1964. We've just had a brand new Quartz finish applied, plus new tile and new brick coping. Our pool contractor is a very nice guy, but he's been less than stellar to deal with, to be honest. But that's another story...
All of the work has finally been finished. We've already had some 3" tabs in the pool, and the water is crystal clear. Yesterday I took a sample to a local pool store. After getting a reading, they had me put in 5 gallons of liquid chlorine, 1 bag of stabilizer and 1 small bucket of PH decrease. I used an Aquachek "Free Chlorine" test strip. Today my readings are:
PH - 8.4 or greater. Still too high.
Free Chlorine - 10 or higher.
Tot Alk - normal levels
Stabilizer - normal levels
To be honest, I have no idea of whether or not I should go swimming yet. From everything I have read, it's suggested that the high PH could be from my new paster. Also, the High FC seems fine, but likely I should wait for it to come down to normal? I have no chlorine smell and the water is not cloudy in anyway, so I assume CC is fine. Again I'm a total newb, so these are all assumptions.
Anyway, good to meet you all, and if anyone has any immediate comments, I'd love to hear! Oh I have a 2.5 year old son, so I do not want to take any risks with when to OK him to go in water.