Got Some Chemistry Issues

Yeah, Tony (my fiance) actually thought about that late last night. It would have had to float, though, since we didn't drain completely. Also I had to shut off backyard water to keep auto-refilling from happening.

Filled overnight and just put the pump back on and hooked Fred back up ( robotic vacuum). I will test in a little bit to see where I am chemical-wise. Water is crystal clear and my hand only smelled faintly of chlorine after booking up Fred.

You need to get a new test tube for your CYA readings. If your still ove 100 CYA you've get some more draining to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And we have new numbers!

FC 12
CC 0
TC 12
PH 7.2
TA 100
CH 500
CYA ~120

I just discovered that the bottom of my CYA reading tube is slightly cracked, enough so water drips out slowly. So my number may have been skewed a bit this whole time.

good job on the water change. unfortunately your CYA is a bit high, as you know.

If you don't want to do another major water change, then plan on gradual reductions over the next couple weeks. do two 20% reductions the next two weekends. you can drain it down some and refill while you are swimming so you aren't loosing much play time, haha.

for living in AZ, you can keep your CYA a bit higher for sure, but 120 is too high. I would at least get it down to 80 for now..thats not that big of a drop. the biggest issue with your high CYA is your FC level needs to be above 10 all the time. when your FC is above 10, your pH test isn't accurate. so basically you have to drop your FC below 10 in order to test pH, readjust, and then get FC back up. all that time with a lower FC level can get an algae bloom which requires a SLAM and will use a ton of bleach/chlorine.

getting your CYA to 80 allows you to keep your FC at the 7-9 range and will allow you to test pH without possibly starting algae issues.

I would plan on getting CYA lower but you can do that with gradual water changes/refills over time.

Update, in case anyone was curious.. :)

Monday, the FC was down to 6.5 and CC was 0.5. Added one 121 oz. container of 8.25% bleach and in half an hour, retested FC at 15.5 and CC at 0. Also tested pH since FC was >10 and that was 7.4. Added ~40 oz of Borax.
Tuesday, the FC was 15.5 and CC 0.
Wednesday, the FC was 14 and CC >0.5, but not quite 0.
I have yet to test today, usually do it later afternoon/evening after work, so will be another hour or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.