Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pump Wiring

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pump Wiring

I'm replacing my Hayward SuperPump with a new SuperPump VS (SP2602VSP). I know the wiring is 230V, but my question is what type/size circuit breaker do I install in the panel for the new wiring.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pump Wiring

Says in your manual you need a 2 pole 15 amp breaker. It needs to be gfci protected. Says it draws 5.9 amps
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You need to size the breaker to the wire gage. If you have 14 gage wire then you will need a 15 amp breaker. If you have 12 gage wire then a 20 amp will work as well as a 15 amp.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Absolutely that's why I recommended a 15 amp breaker. 12 awg. or 14 awg wire is sufficient.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

5. Back To Top    #5

20A GFCI double-pole breakers are a lot easier to find though, and surprisingly often cheaper

Also, while many have had luck with any GFCI breaker the VSP pumps are known to be picky and it seems Siemens has the best luck. I found it finally digging through here and it fixed my issues instantly after trying two different Eaton/Cutler Hammer breakers. It also turned out to be cheaper. You may want to just go with it from the start if it fits your panel. QF220P for 20A and QF215 for 15A if you can find a 15A other than online. On a side note, how far is the breaker from the pump? If not real close you may want to have an electrician verify wire gauge due to distance.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by donnyruss View Post
    I'm replacing my Hayward SuperPump with a new SuperPump VS (SP2602VSP). I know the wiring is 230V, but my question is what type/size circuit breaker do I install in the panel for the new wiring.
    Why cant you use the existing wiring and breaker? It's just a pump swap out, right?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

ethany, you just compared a 20A double pole to a 15A Single pole

bk406 just asked the most obvious question though, unless the current breaker isn't GFCI and time to correct that as well whatever the old pump had should work unless the new VSP causes nuisance trips
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Needmoresun my point is you can buy one cheaper. Why pay more money for something you don't need.

Maybe his last pump was 120v and now he has a 220v pump as far as why he asked which breaker to buy

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm not sure comparing Home Depot, who doesn't even carry the 15A to Amazon is accurate. Pick almost any brand GFCI breaker you want where Home Depot or Lowes carries both and the 20A is "almost" always cheaper.

For Amazon, you also have a link that shows other amperage selections right in it showing the 20A as cheaper as well, although it comes out a little higher with shipping due to a different vendor. Just finding a 15A double pole GFCI can be difficult if not shopping online and waiting for it, but for those few that are carried the 20A is cheaper in many cases.

A few bucks is probably pointless to worry about, but IF he has the wiring needed he'll likely find a much better deal local going 20A, and would otherwise need to order online. An Eaton 15A everyone seems to carry is a bit pricey
    Scott

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry but I'm very cheap and I have a 15 amp 2 pole gfci breaker not a 20. So there....

12. Back To Top    #12

I started with one, except it was an Eaton the VSP didn't like so online wasn't an option and they are HARD to find Well, I suppose a green pool would have been fine if it was St. Patrick's Day

Hope the OP gets back with what he has so someone can at least see if it works.
    Scott

13. Back To Top    #13

I don't do much resi work so I'm not up on resi breaker prices. All I was going on is it must have been cheaper 10 yrs ago when I did my pool, I doubt I would pay more,can't remember.

Anyway like someone said about replacing a pump. He should have everything he needs unless it was 110v and not hard wired. Who knows.....I'm a last work freak, so my wife says!

14. Back To Top    #14

The old pump was 120V that's why I needed to change the breaker. Went with the 15A double pole GFCI from Amazon, it was slightly cheaper than the 20A and as stated earlier what was specified by the manual. I was able to use most of my old wiring. Thanks for the help.
    -Donny
    24,000 gallon in-ground pool with Hayward Pro Grid DE2420 DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump VS SP2602VSP
    AutoPilot DIG220 Salt System
    AquaComfort Heat Pump AC-1250SHT00J

15. Back To Top    #15

15A if the pump is the only item on the circuit. If other items then you need to calculate breaker size.

From the manual:

4.6: Connect pump to a 15 amp branch circuit in accordance with local codes, regulations, and the National Electric Code (NEC).

4.9: If other lights or appliances are also on the same circuit, be sure to add their amp loads before calculating wire and circuit breaker sizes.
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820