My latest results - what do I need to do

Jun 20, 2015
Biloxi, MS
Yesterday at 1500 (3pm) my results were: FC = 7, CC = 0, CYA = 25

At 2135 (9:35 pm) my results were: FC = 12, CC = 0, CYA = 30

This morning my results were: FC = 12, CC = 0 , CYA = 22, CH = 225, PH = 7.5, TA = 140

What should I do and why is my CYA going down? Right now I have a floater with some stabilizer in it (sock method) to try and raise my CYA to 30.

If the water is very cloudy that may have some effect on the CYA readings. You actually went from 25 to 30 to 22, so it went up before going down. It's hard to get a perfect reading on CYA every time you test. For now I'd take the average & call it 26.

Are you currently having any water problems?

PH test is not valid when FC is above 10. What was PH when it was below 10? The most likely reason the CYA test is different is lighting conditions or test variance. How long ago was 30 ppm added?

The numbers look pretty good. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level, assume 30ppm for now, and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep chlorine at target level and never let it drop below minimum or the pool will not be sanitized and algae will grow. It is safe to swim when FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8

Have you read some of these handy Pool School articles?
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - PoolMath

PH test is not valid when FC is above 10. What was PH when it was below 10? The most likely reason the CYA test is different is lighting conditions or test variance. How long ago was 30 ppm added?

The numbers look pretty good. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level, assume 30ppm for now, and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep chlorine at target level and never let it drop below minimum or the pool will not be sanitized and algae will grow. It is safe to swim when FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8

Have you read some of these handy Pool School articles?
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - PoolMath

This was a drain, pressure wash, refill. After a couple of days I had a few puffy off yellow areas (dead algae), it was suggested in another thread to SLAM. Prior to the SLAM my ph was fine 7.4 / 7.5. Yesterday evening about 6pm I upped my CYA and at 935pm it tested at 30 ppm. This morning the CYA tested at 22. The water looks beautiful, did vacuum a little blown in debris from the weather this morning.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.