Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My latest results - what do I need to do

1. Back To Top    #1

My latest results - what do I need to do

Yesterday at 1500 (3pm) my results were: FC = 7, CC = 0, CYA = 25

At 2135 (9:35 pm) my results were: FC = 12, CC = 0, CYA = 30

This morning my results were: FC = 12, CC = 0 , CYA = 22, CH = 225, PH = 7.5, TA = 140

What should I do and why is my CYA going down? Right now I have a floater with some stabilizer in it (sock method) to try and raise my CYA to 30.
    MS Gulf Coast | 15,000 gallon IG gunite pool | cartridge filter system | TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My latest results - what do I need to do

If the water is very cloudy that may have some effect on the CYA readings. You actually went from 25 to 30 to 22, so it went up before going down. It's hard to get a perfect reading on CYA every time you test. For now I'd take the average & call it 26.

Are you currently having any water problems?
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

PH test is not valid when FC is above 10. What was PH when it was below 10? The most likely reason the CYA test is different is lighting conditions or test variance. How long ago was 30 ppm added?

The numbers look pretty good. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level, assume 30ppm for now, and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep chlorine at target level and never let it drop below minimum or the pool will not be sanitized and algae will grow. It is safe to swim when FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8

Have you read some of these handy Pool School articles?
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - PoolMath
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    PH test is not valid when FC is above 10. What was PH when it was below 10? The most likely reason the CYA test is different is lighting conditions or test variance. How long ago was 30 ppm added?

The numbers look pretty good. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level, assume 30ppm for now, and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep chlorine at target level and never let it drop below minimum or the pool will not be sanitized and algae will grow. It is safe to swim when FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8

Have you read some of these handy Pool School articles?
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - PoolMath

This was a drain, pressure wash, refill. After a couple of days I had a few puffy off yellow areas (dead algae), it was suggested in another thread to SLAM. Prior to the SLAM my ph was fine 7.4 / 7.5. Yesterday evening about 6pm I upped my CYA and at 935pm it tested at 30 ppm. This morning the CYA tested at 22. The water looks beautiful, did vacuum a little blown in debris from the weather this morning.
    Last edited by 1900; 06-28-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: changed php to ph (lol)
    MS Gulf Coast | 15,000 gallon IG gunite pool | cartridge filter system | TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the response guys/gals. I'll be keeping an eye on it again today and balancing as needed. To a clean, sparkling, safe, and trouble free pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

Good news that the water is nice and clear! Did you add liquid stabilizer/cya? Granular should not dissolve that fast and show up on the test.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach