Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt level keeps increasing

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt level keeps increasing

Wen I opened the pool my salt level was 3300ppm. I figured it would go down to between 2800-3200 on its own. Now one month later my salt is at 3800ppm and I did not add salt. How can that be? Please help. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt level keeps increasing

And you tested with?
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

My guess would be that the salt may not have been fully dissolved and circulated through the pool when you initially tested the level. Bleach will add a minimal amount of salt also if you have had a lot of bleach that would affect it too.

I would not worry about it unless it's making alarms go off on the SWG. It will decrease gradually as you top off water.

What are you using to test your salt level? I use the Taylor salt test kit and it's very accurate
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm bringing a sample to the pool store salt meter.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Sgaleota View Post
    I'm bringing a sample to the pool store salt meter.
    They are an unreliable testing source. We don't recommend the use of pool stores here other than to buy liquid chlorine.

I recommend you invest in a TF 100 pool test kit and a K1766 salt test kit. They are both linked in my signature.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

What kind of SWCG do you have? (You should update your signature with pool equipment info).

Many SWCG's are not temperature compensated. As the water heats up during the swim season, the conductivity of the pool water increases and many SWCGs show that as a higher salinity. Some units are temperature compensated and have a built in temperature probe so that the electronics can apply a correction factor.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. All that matters is if the cell is reporting normal operation. SWCGs have very wide operating margins and produce chlorine over a wide array of water conditions.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Right! If the SWG is happy and making chlorine then we're all happy.

Please add your pool info in your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you!!! I understand.
    14x24 IG vinyl pool,Jandy 1hp pump, Jandy cs250 cart filter, Jandy heater, Hayward Aquarite T9 SWG, ColorQ Pro7 test kit