Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump T R O U B L E

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump T R O U B L E

last Thursday night my youngest girl had some friends over for a night swim. In the process of trying to turn our 4 corner fountains on she turned the intake off on the pump. Don't think it ran long that night like that cause it is on a timer that turns off around 8. So I go to work the next day and come home for lunch and pool water isn't circulating. Walk out there and open easy touch and water temp is 150. Panic is slowly setting in. That is when I found intake valves closed. I opened them and turned pump back on and everything ran fine but had a leak on the outlet fitting of the pump. Also I was getting air in lines real bad. I Replaces seals in the strainer basket and replaced the one on the outlet of the pump. Had to leave pump off for 24hrs to let silicone set up. I checked it today and I have a small drip on outlet side of pump that I think silicone will stop but the air is still getting in. I have sprayed soapy water around fitting but see nothin. Of course a leak would suck not blow. Also my FC level went to 0 by being off all day. I am hoping that will come up now that pump is on.

How do I find that leak? Also will my Polaris 280 work with air in the system. It didn't seem to want to go to the bottom and clean like it should.

Ideas please.
    20x49 double roman 3.5' to 8.5 deep', 44,000 gal. SWG, TF-100 test kit with speed stir, concrete walls with vinyl liner, cartridge filter on an IG pool with a 1hp main pump and 1.5hp booster pump. Pool built April 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump T R O U B L E

The hot water caused the pvc threads going into and out of the pump to shrink and lose the seal. You should replace both.

3. Back To Top    #3

I will try that and report back.
    20x49 double roman 3.5' to 8.5 deep', 44,000 gal. SWG, TF-100 test kit with speed stir, concrete walls with vinyl liner, cartridge filter on an IG pool with a 1hp main pump and 1.5hp booster pump. Pool built April 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

A good way to find an air leak is to have someone turn off the pump while you're carefully watching the spot where you suspect a leak. When the pump shuts off, there's a temporary burst of pressure that will sometimes squirt out of the leak spot. Try turning the pump on and off a few times while observing closely.

5. Back To Top    #5

In addition to the comments above, it seems as if you have two issues now: A small water leak on the outlet of your pump (pressure side) and you say air is "still getting in" (suction side). So if I'm reading your situation correctly, the water drips on the pressure side should be easily identifiable and as noted above would probably require new seal(s). If you are still getting air in your lines, have you exhausted everything noted HERE?

That's a shame it happened, and I hope you get everything resolved soon. Good luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re-plumbed the intake last night and the air leak appears to be stopped. Still might have a drop on pressure side, gonna check that out further.

Did notice on my filter that the spout on top where you can open and get air out has a drip now. Hopefully that is just some kind of seal. Don't think the two are related.

7. Back To Top    #7

fixing that suction side leak. Those can be pesky. A little drop here or there on the pressure side isn't the worse thing. Not sure about your air relief valve, but my Hayward sits on top of a small seal.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

This maybe overkill but you may want to change out the shaft seal.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    This maybe overkill but you may want to change out the shaft seal.
    Thought about that. Should I just get one to have it on hand since it's not leaking.

10. Back To Top    #10

If it's not leaking you don't have to make more work, but keep an eye on it.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida