Please help!

salina

Jun 13, 2015
murfreesboro, tn
We are getting a 18x36 in ground pool installed and are trying to figure out the depths. We want a nice shallow area for our three kids to play as well as a deeper side (6'6) to jump off. How many feet should the shallow area be? The builder gave two options that I'm not sure I fully understand. One would be starting at 3'3 and going to 4 feet depth for about 14 feet (length) then sloping down, then 6'6 depth for 6 feet flat bottom then sloping back up 4 feet. The other option is starting at 3'3 for 4 feet, stepping down to 4 feet for some feet (can't tell what he scribbled) and then steeply sloping to a 6'6 bottom for 7 feet. Is the deep end too small? This second option has a wall all around the pool. Would that take away from swimming space? So confused! Is it better to get a steep drop off or gradual slope? If you have any other ideas please recommend! Thank you!

Pools come in such a wide variety of shapes and sizes it can be overwhelming. Having a fairly decent sized shallow end as noted in your first option makes it nice for people who want to play games or for smaller children - maybe non swimmers. As for the deep end, mine is 7' and they told me it was not ideal (deep enough) for diving. We still jump in and do cannonballs and stuff, just nothing from a diving board. Depending upon the overall length of your pool, having a deep section in the middle might influence that as well. Having a wall around the pool would not worry me so much about taking away from swimming space, but perhaps aesthetically how it looks, or interfering with how I get around for lounging or pool maintenance. Those are just some of my thoughts. :)

It sounds like your PB is describing a version of a "sport" pool in the first variation great for games and other group activities. If you expect groups of kids in the pool this is a very good choice.

The second is a more conventional pool with a deep end.

Your kids won't be small forever. You need to take that into account. Think how your family will use the pool over time.

I'm not sure how to add an attachment of the drawing the pb made. The whole shallow area is 3'4" but that seems way too shallow. The pool is 18x36. I want the shallow end to be 4 feet deep but he has to start at 3'4" because of steps. I want at least 14 feet of shallow before dipping down to 6'6 in the deep section. Anybody have suggestions on what we should do? Thank you very much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.