Hi! From Dallas TX

Dac

Jun 26, 2015
Dallas, tx
I'm a newbie when come to pool. I've just bought a house with an 18K clorine /irregular shape with spa/white plaster/1 main drain + 2 skimmers + 4 returns/just upgraded to a new Pentair intelliflo pump/old Hayward 48 sq ft DE filter.

- - - Updated - - -

help

Hello Dac! Welcome to TFP. :wave: Since you're new to pools, make sure you have the proper test kit ASAP. The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

Look around and ask questions as needed. Oh, and finally, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. Welcome!

Thank you sir!

And yes, I've just bought the TF-100, but have not got a chance to learn how to use it.
My pool was green, so I took some sample to Leslie's to test the water. Below is the result of 4 days ago:
FAC = 2
TAC = 2
CH = 210
CYA = 30
TA = 60
pH = 7
Base = 11
TDS = 900
Pho = 750

I feel bad and buy a bucket of 10lbs of Soda Ash as a token of appreciation for their testing service.
They recommended me to dump about 6.6 lbs of Soda Ash in the pool
I listened to y'all and dumped about 2.5 jugs (121 oz/jug) of 8.25% clorox bleach in and run the pump for 24 hr...but as to my frustration, the water still green.
I have the pool service guy come in tomorrow to help me out , kinda start-up for me.....

My question is: I'm planning to upgrade the filter to Pentair quad DE. The price between 60, 80 and 100 sq ft is pretty close to one another....I'm thinking about 80 or 100 sq ft filter. Do you think it's too big for my pool?

Welcome to TFP!

No filter is too big for your pool. With filter bigger is definitely better. You're going to love that new pump and lower electric bill too!