Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Old pool - New caretaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Old pool - New caretaker

Just performed the first test using the tf100 kit. I got here because the water has become cloudy and won't clear. The test results were:
    FC- 5.5
    PH - 7.2
    CC - .5
    CH - 400
    TA - 150
    CYA - 100

I assume these TA and CYA results were caused by too much shock, Algaecide, and trichlor while trying to clear up a problem after a spring storm. In any event my question is; am I correct in assuming that the best thing to do at this point would be to empty about half the water and then refill to get the TA and CYA back to normal range? I will be following your liquid chlorine methods from here on out. Thank you
    In-ground pool, 24 X 48, built in 1948, plaster finish (67 years old and a little rough), gutter surrounds the pool (old style). The pool is cantilevered with the Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump and sand filter below the deep end.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Old pool - New caretaker

Welcome to TFP.

The big problem is that 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so,you could be 100 or almost any number above that. A 50% drain refill would yield 50 IF the CYA is actually 100. With manual chlorination and vein in OR, I would think the ultimate goal would probably be in the 40 - 50 range unless you tell me your pool is in blazing sun all day long.

Depending on your fill water, the drain/refill may or may not help the TA, but I would not make it a priority at this point.

You need to get that FC up to account for the high CYA. For now I would target something in the 15 - 20 range to make sure the pool doesn't go green on top of being cloudy. You will eventually have to SLAM, but that will be after you get the CYA down.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

The TA can depend on your city water too. When I tested mine it was 180, so you may not gain a bunch there. You still may have to resort to the muriatic acid/aeration trick. I wouldn't totally get worked up about the TA yet. You can fix that down the road. All the TA means is that your pH will drift high and you'll have to keep it in check with some MA doses and that may not be too bad. Then in time if it gets annoying deal with lowering TA.

Your CYA on the other hand needs to be brought in check so you can properly SLAM your pool to deal with the cloudiness. The only real way to deal with the CYA is a drain and fill. Maybe multiple...

Good luck!
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in 70s, has 8 deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

You are SO on the right track!

-A good test kit-the best one!

-knowing what to do--------have you been reading ahead?? Good job!

Now how about using pool math for me. Lets pretend that your CYA is 100 (it might be higher). How much water does Pool Math say to drain?

Here is the link to Pool Math.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    You are SO on the right track!

-A good test kit-the best one!

-knowing what to do--------have you been reading ahead?? Good job!

Now how about using pool math for me. Lets pretend that your CYA is 100 (it might be higher). How much water does Pool Math say to drain?

Here is the link to Pool Math.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Kim
    Yes, I have read ahead because I suspected the CYA was the cause of the cloudiness problem. Pool Math says to drain 50%.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have read ahead because I suspected the CYA was the cause of the cloudiness problem. Pool Math says to drain 50%.
    In-ground pool, 24 X 48, built in 1948, plaster finish (67 years old and a little rough), gutter surrounds the pool (old style). The pool is cantilevered with the Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump and sand filter below the deep end.

6. Back To Top    #6

You have some choices to make:

-old pool-kind of worried about plaster if you take too much water at one time. The sun could cause problems. So lower it a little bit at a time. It will take longer but may be safer for you plaster.

-drain it FAST at night-rented sub pump- and pay for water to be trucked in that morning-could be costly $$

Just some things to think about.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, I'm not in a big hurry. I'll lower it slowly and keep and eye on other readings as I go. Presumably The CYA will eventually get to an acceptable level.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just know that the higher the CYA the more FC (bleach/chlorine) you will need to keep it clear.

Good luck! Let us know how it is going!

Oh and do you know about adding DE to your sand filter to help filter it even better? Here is a link to it.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-a-sand-filter

Kim

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, realize that water replacement due to evaporation does not count toward your CYA mitigation strategy. CYA doesn't evaporate.
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in 70s, has 8 deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir