Pool Heater

bing23

Jun 22, 2015
Plano
I have a Teledyne Laars Series 2 400n that went thru a freeze 1 year ago and broke the headers in it so I haven't been using it. A neighbor was filling in his pool and had one. He said his hadn't work in years. I asked if it leaked and he said no and that I could have it. Took his headers off, put it on mine and it runs thru fine with no leaks. Started it and it runs fine but turns off. I would guess it runs for about 1 minute and then turns off. Not every time but some of the time after it turns off I hear clicks. Not clicks like it's trying to start back up but one I can't explain. Almost like the sound when the heater is first turned on and the system engages. It will do that a few times and then nothing. Usually about 30 seconds later, maybe 1 minute it starts back up, runs for 1 minute and then shuts off.

I have no clue where to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

Rob

Hi Bing. As a start, did you check out some of the switches? The high limits, temp probe, and bypass are all in the headers, also the pressure switch. Did you use his or put in yours? Also did you make sure your exchanger is clear? I would check those out to start.

OldPoolMan, first thank you for your help. I used all of mine, I just used his headers. Yesterday I checked it all out and everything seems to be connected fine but I could find my voltmeter so I'll have to look for that today and go back out.

I did start it up again and here's exactly what happened. It ran perfect for 12-15 minutes straight(not sure exactly how long it was) and got the spa up to 99-100 degrees and that's when it turned off. It turns back on shortly after that and runs for a minute. It seems to be keeping the temp right around 100 but no higher. I'll test it again today to see if that's what it runs the temp up to every time. Would the high limits switches be the cause of this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.