Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I lower my Blower bell?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I lower my Blower bell?

The blower for my spa is for some reason, 5 feet off the ground and right in front of my control panel.
    Any reason, I can't just cut that PVC pipe a foot or 2 shorter and lower it?
    In-ground, SWG, 20,000 Gallons, Attached spa w/ Spillover, Hayward system, Cartridge Filter.
    Dallas TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I lower my Blower bell?

Not that I can think of.

I see your location listed in your signature, but please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE so we can quickly see it. Thanks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is about 6" off the ground.

If your pool is higher than the thing you'd need it higher to prevent water from draining out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine is 4-5ft too, but the only reason is because the switch for it is attached to the side of it, and there are bushes down low, so it was convenient. It's just a plain ole pipe below it, and I doubt cutting a few feet from it will cause an issue...if anything maybe slightly stronger bubble action in the spa?
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

5. Back To Top    #5

Ours had to be raised because it's a little down a slope and water was getting into it.

Stupid pool builder should have known better.
    26,000 gallon in-ground salt-water pool & spa with rock slide and waterfall (2006), Aqualink RS with SpaLink, Aquapure salt generator, Jandy DE filter, Polaris 380 cleaner, Laars LT natural gas heater, 2HP spa blower, 2 x 2hp pumps (one for pool spa, one for slide and waterfall), 4x Jandy digital color 120V halogen lights in Austin, Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Pipe should be at least 2 ft higher that the body of water it serves. Example: If your pool equipment is at the same elevation as the pool water level, and you have a 18"-2' raised spa, your blower could need to be about 4' off the ground (at the equipment). When the blower switches off there could be a "surge" of water that travels back up the air line, and this is why the blower needs to have that extra height to it, to keep water out of the blower motor.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

Interesting. Thanks Pool Clown!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    Pipe should be at least 2 ft higher that the body of water it serves. Example: If your pool equipment is at the same elevation as the pool water level, and you have a 18"-2' raised spa, your blower could need to be about 4' off the ground (at the equipment). When the blower switches off there could be a "surge" of water that travels back up the air line, and this is why the blower needs to have that extra height to it, to keep water out of the blower motor.
    That makes sense---I've read that some of these blowers have check valves that I would think would stop this from occurring, allowing a lower install point...is that always the case?
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by gilbee View Post
    That makes sense---I've read that some of these blowers have check valves that I would think would stop this from occurring, allowing a lower install point...is that always the case?
    That's great until the check valve fails.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot View Post
    But then I get a shiny new blower! Lol.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot View Post
    But then I get a shiny new blower! Lol.
    All true!
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.