Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Do I need a 2HP pump?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chillicothe, MO
    Posts
    45

    Question Do I need a 2HP pump?

    We have a 30ft, 52 inch deep above ground pool. Our Super Clear 2HP pump that came with it has quit. Do I need to replace it with another 2HP?
    Thanks in Advance.
    Scwhitson
    24,500 gallon, round, above ground pool. Sand filter, ultraviolet light.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Do I need a 2HP pump?

    I would say no. At least get a 2speed and run it on low most of the time. Seems like a 1hp 2 speed pump would be fine. Or if you are in the market for a smaller VS pump I like this one, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  3. Back To Top    #3


    TFP Guide

    cowboycasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fletcher, OK
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: Do I need a 2HP pump?

    Quote Originally Posted by scwhitson View Post
    We have a 30ft, 52 inch deep above ground pool. Our Super Clear 2HP pump that came with it has quit. Do I need to replace it with another 2HP?
    Thanks in Advance.
    is this the type that you have? http://www.pool1.com/Filter-Pump.asp#J just in 2hp

    do you want to go back to an above ground type motor? is it 120v, 240 volt, hard wired?

    this one looks good but you will need to know what type Amazon.com : Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Do I need a 2HP pump?

    Good point about above ground vs inground pumps, I missed that. Thanks.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chillicothe, MO
    Posts
    45

    Re: Do I need a 2HP pump?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    is this the type that you have? http://www.pool1.com/Filter-Pump.asp#J just in 2hp

    do you want to go back to an above ground type motor? is it 120v, 240 volt, hard wired?

    this one looks good but you will need to know what type Amazon.com : Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Yes, the top one looks to be exactly what we have. The side of the pump says superclear 2HP. The pool is above ground, so not sure what you mean by going back to one? It is a 120v.
    Scwhitson
    24,500 gallon, round, above ground pool. Sand filter, ultraviolet light.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chillicothe, MO
    Posts
    45

    Re: Do I need a 2HP pump?

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I would say no. At least get a 2speed and run it on low most of the time. Seems like a 1hp 2 speed pump would be fine. Or if you are in the market for a smaller VS pump I like this one, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    Well... that one does look good, but that's why I was wondering if I could go with a smaller one to bring the cost down.
    Thanks.
    Scwhitson
    24,500 gallon, round, above ground pool. Sand filter, ultraviolet light.

  7. Back To Top    #7


    TFP Guide

    cowboycasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fletcher, OK
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: Do I need a 2HP pump?

    Quote Originally Posted by scwhitson View Post
    Yes, the top one looks to be exactly what we have. The side of the pump says superclear 2HP. The pool is above ground, so not sure what you mean by going back to one? It is a 120v.
    the pump from amazon is a 2 speed above ground 120v pump and would work perfect for you.. most people reviewed it on low speed between 2 or 3 amps on low
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •