Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Staten Island NY

Shock problem

I have a 12' x 20' semi on ground pool with a perma salt system. Every time I add shock to the pool the water turns green. Why?

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Shock problem

Welcome! But I suspect we're going to need some info before we can answer clearly. For example:
    - What type of "shock" are you adding?
    - What are your test readings for FC, CC, TA, PH, CYA, and CH?
    - Do you have your own test kit? If so, which one?
    - City water or well?

TFP'ers .... anything else I forgot to ask?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

It's possible that there could be some metals in the water. Since the OP is from Staten Island, I would assume he/she is on municipal water - would be surprised if they posted back and said they were on a well. Going with the city water assumption for now, the other culprit for adding metals to the water is past use of copper-based algaecides or ionizers.

Fink0517: In addition to responding to Texas Splash's questions, please indicate if you are aware of past use of algaecides and/or ionizers.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

Hold on guys ... they said "perma salt" ... so there is DEFINITELY metal (copper & silver) in the water. And that is why your water is turning green when you add chlorine.

We never recommend the use of copper in your pool as it can cause staining and green hair.

Search the forum and there are many threads discussing the perma salt scam I mean system
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!