Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    11

    How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Just bought our second intex and while putting it up realized it was a little different - In order to comply with the Virginia Graeme Baker Act it has 3 holes for the filter system. 2 outlets and 1 inlet. The pump remains the same (with a single inlet and outlet) and you just fork the outlet hose in to 2.

    No worries putting it together but just realized that when I have to vacuum the pool it will be interesting. Even with the old single outlet, suction was barely usable for the vacuum system. With the reduced suction coming from either of the 2 holes I'm guessing hooking up the vacuum will be futile.

    Has anyone else got one of the intex pools with the 3 holes? If so, what are you doing for vacuum?
    Intex 14' X 48" ultra frame (AG)
    3861 gallons @ 90% capacity
    Pump: Cartridge filter, 1000 gph

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    27

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    I am looking for the same answer. The outlets barley suck with two an then the fact that there is no skimmer or vacuum.
    Current 24' x 52" Intex W/ swg and sandfilter
    12,500 Gal. above ground.
    About to put my big girl panties on
    and get a real pool. :)
    Real pool never happened,,, ripped off. :-(
    TF100, no speed stir.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    180

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    couldn't you just block one of the "outlets"(suction port) or valve one of them off ,just for vacuuming purposes.Did they perchance provide you with a t'd adapter(2 into 1) for vacuuming?

    Think Large sink stopper,rubber kind.Off white color,sometimes comes with small chain attached.
    Rob

    Cozumel AGP 24' 14,700 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump
    Sta-rite Cristol-Flo II 2.3sq.ft. sand filter
    SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates
    TF-100 Testkit....$68,cheap insurance for a trouble free pool season

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    tolleson/az
    Posts
    3

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    it should come with a black rubber cap. i used that to cap off one suction outlet and connect other to vacuum and it works fine, actually better than expected. Let me know if you know what im talking about, if not i can take pics since ill be vacuming tomorrow

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Clarksville
    Posts
    142

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Quote Originally Posted by poolbeclean View Post
    it should come with a black rubber cap. i used that to cap off one suction outlet and connect other to vacuum and it works fine, actually better than expected. Let me know if you know what im talking about, if not i can take pics since ill be vacuming tomorrow
    Yah can you get a pic? Are you talking about those little black rubber things that look like hats?

    vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Clarksville
    Posts
    142

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    I too am having issues. For one thing my adapters for skimmer and vac don't fit the inlets. Another thing is my vac didn't come with a skimmer vac body that goes inside the skimmer so I guess it doesn't need one.

    I bought my pool from vminnivations. Only thing I know go do is contact them and see if they can help me find the proper vac and skimmer models for this pool.

    I'm confused and frustrated. I'm thinking it would be better just to get one if those auto vacs or a battery operated vac and that new skim around auto floating skimmer. Seems like it would save a lot of hassle.

    vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cypress, Tx.
    Posts
    154

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Here is how I dealt with the dual suction port issue regarding vaccuming. I got rid of the hokey hose setup and installed hard pipe with valves to give me total control over suction/water supply to the pump. BTW, those are inlets supplying the pump/filter. There is one single outlet/return









    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Clarksville
    Posts
    142

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Quote Originally Posted by gtty View Post
    Here is how I dealt with the dual suction port issue regarding vaccuming. I got rid of the hokey hose setup and installed hard pipe with valves to give me total control over suction/water supply to the pump. BTW, those are inlets supplying the pump/filter. There is one single outlet/return









    So does the skimmer go into the inlet(suction) or the return jet? Just kinda confused cuz I have it connected to suction and its doing nothing. Yesterday I had it connected to the return and the water flowing to the pool caused the skimmer and housing to float out of the unit.

    vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cypress, Tx.
    Posts
    154

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    The skimmer is connected to one of the suction ports. You can see the other suction port in the top of the 4th photo that has nothing attached. The blue strainer basket nozzle screws onto the intake strainer inside the pool. BTW that 1-1/4" pvc pipe elbow press fits onto the blue strainer nozzle.

    - - - Updated - - -

    you will probably need at least a valve on the bare return jet nozzle as the water will try to take the path of least resistance, making the basket somewhate innefective. Using the valve you can adjust how much water the other intake can take in.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Clarksville
    Posts
    142

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Quote Originally Posted by gtty View Post
    The skimmer is connected to one of the suction ports. You can see the other suction port in the top of the 4th photo that has nothing attached. The blue strainer basket nozzle screws onto the intake strainer inside the pool. BTW that 1-1/4" pvc pipe elbow press fits onto the blue strainer nozzle.

    - - - Updated - - -

    you will probably need at least a valve on the bare return jet nozzle as the water will try to take the path of least resistance, making the basket somewhate innefective. Using the valve you can adjust how much water the other intake can take in.
    So you mean slightly shut the return valve?

    Yah I put the skimmer in one of the 2 intakes last night and it did nothing.

    Sorry about all the questions I'm just trying to make sure I understand. When I ordered this I thought I was getting one of the older pools with just the usual 2 holes to connect pump. When we were setting up and I saw 3 I was like ...uh.. So.

    I also don't like the setup. The valve for the 2 hangs down. I put a container with bricks to keep it from hanging. They need to make 2 separate valves for each suction,/intake.

    vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cypress, Tx.
    Posts
    154

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    For the way it is set up now, you'll have to open the valve completely at the tee becasue the intex pool only has a valve at the Tee. This is why I plumbed mine with a valve at each of the two supply's. Make sure the valve is open all of the way. You might place your hand over the non-skimmer supply to see if it makes the skimmer basket function better. I have to close off my non-skimmer valve about 60-70% to get the basket to work adequately. When running, can you see water moving through the pump basket that is located right in front of the pump?

    I thought I was getting one of the older pools also until we got it home.

    The dual is better, once I got it arranged the way I wanted it. With my setup I can shut the skimmer off while the pump is working, allowing you to clean the grate below the skimmer basket, in case a large leaf plugs it up.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Clarksville
    Posts
    142

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Quote Originally Posted by gtty View Post
    For the way it is set up now, you'll have to open the valve completely at the tee becasue the intex pool only has a valve at the Tee. This is why I plumbed mine with a valve at each of the two supply's. Make sure the valve is open all of the way. You might place your hand over the non-skimmer supply to see if it makes the skimmer basket function better. I have to close off my non-skimmer valve about 60-70% to get the basket to work adequately. When running, can you see water moving through the pump basket that is located right in front of the pump?

    I thought I was getting one of the older pools also until we got it home.

    The dual is better, once I got it arranged the way I wanted it. With my setup I can shut the skimmer off while the pump is working, allowing you to clean the grate below the skimmer basket, in case a large leaf plugs it up.
    No that side on my pool does close. It closes at the t and at the return. I can close the return some and see if that works.

    vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cypress, Tx.
    Posts
    154

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    closing the valve at the supply tee (on your tub and red stone) will cut the water off from both supplys at the same time and won't help your skimmer work. Keep that tee valve open, as well as any valve in the system. Then place your hand over the the other supply/suction port to force the water through the basket. It should work better then.

    - - - Updated - - -

    What is the pumps rated for. How many gallons per hour (gpm)?

    I just went out to look at my pool. You might pinch to hose to restrict flow or put a platic bag in front of the supply without the skimmer. the supply fitting is somewhat large for the average size persons hand to cover up.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cypress, Tx.
    Posts
    154

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Clarksville
    Posts
    142

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Quote Originally Posted by gtty View Post
    OK thanks

    vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Clarksville
    Posts
    142

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Quote Originally Posted by melody.boutz View Post
    OK thanks

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    OK I see what you mean now.

    vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San diego
    Posts
    8

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Dam I thought my pool was unlevel!! How's that working for you? I just filled my poOL 18x 52 and kind of unlevel.

    Quote Originally Posted by melody.boutz View Post
    So you mean slightly shut the return valve?

    Yah I put the skimmer in one of the 2 intakes last night and it did nothing.

    Sorry about all the questions I'm just trying to make sure I understand. When I ordered this I thought I was getting one of the older pools with just the usual 2 holes to connect pump. When we were setting up and I saw 3 I was like ...uh.. So.

    I also don't like the setup. The valve for the 2 hangs down. I put a container with bricks to keep it from hanging. They need to make 2 separate valves for each suction,/intake.

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Clarksville
    Posts
    142

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie will View Post
    Dam I thought my pool was unlevel!! How's that working for you? I just filled my poOL 18x 52 and kind of unlevel.
    It's been up sense may 29th. And I know its unlevel but because where we live is rental property I can't really do anything the ground to level it how it should be.

    It doesn't appear to be getting any worse. We're just keeping an eye on things. All you can do.

    vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Very nice setup. Did you put any support for the pvc pipes below like some bricks or is it just coming off straight from the pump and hanging in the air. How does it support the weight? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtty View Post
    Here is how I dealt with the dual suction port issue regarding vaccuming. I got rid of the hokey hose setup and installed hard pipe with valves to give me total control over suction/water supply to the pump. BTW, those are inlets supplying the pump/filter. There is one single outlet/return










  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cypress, Tx.
    Posts
    154

    Re: How to use suction-based vacuum with dual outlets?

    Thanks, Its all very sufficiently self supporting except where I tie wrapped it to the pool where you see the green noodle in the last photo.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •