New pool -- who can read these test strips??

I bought an AG Intex 18ft round/4ft deep pool a couple days ago. Bought AquaCheck test strips. I had no idea where to begin on chemicals, so bought chlorinating granules (calcium hypochlorite 47.6%). I added about 24 oz, dissolved in water. Also around a quart of algaecide. My test strips before and after this are virtually the same.
TH 500
TC 0
FC 0
PH 8.0?
TA 180?
CYA 30
These are really just guesses; I have no idea what I'm doing, and who can read these test strips anyway? Is the amount of chlorinating granules that I added way to low to even register on the test? There is literally no difference in my strips before and after I put the granules and algaecide in. I am just trying to pick up random tips on this site and elsewhere. Help. I don't want to go too long before getting it right and my pool starts growing things. Of course, I see now everyone says to order the TFT-100 test kit. I can do that going forward, but need help now! Of course the pool store said they would test the water for free, but how much am I going to overpay in chemicals from them?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You really should not try to do anything with test strips ... or pool store testing for that matter.

If you just filled the pool, then you know your CYA is zero. So you can use PoolMath to calculate how much stabilizer to add to reach 30ppm. Although I see you thing the CYA is 30ppm? Did you add any already?

You should add 2ppm of FC using bleach ... add that every day until you can actually test for it. As the CYA dissolves you will need to raise the FC level you maintain based on the FC/CYA Chart.

BTW, there is not need for algaecides, etc ... although it is insurance for now since you can not measure the FC level well.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.