Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool quote - suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pool quote - suggestions?

We are finalizing on a new build in Phoenix, AZ and have received several quotes. The one below looks to be the lowest. Any suggestions are welcome.

Rectangular pool - 35X16
    Depth - 3' to 5'
    Inground shotcrete
    Pebble Sheen
    Hayward Eco Star pump
    Heat and Cool system
    Waveform cleaners (16 of them)
    Hayward UV
    Hayward Sense and Dispense
    Hayward DE Pro Grid filter (largest one)
    2 Venturi skimmers
    Coping only - travertine
    1 Hayward Universal Color Logic light
    Hayward omni logic control system
    4 deck jets
    2 sheer descents

The quote that we got is 50K.

Bad? OK? Run away?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool quote - suggestions?

Did you specifically ask for a shallow pool? Such a shallow pool will heat up in your sun. That cooling system will sure be needed.

Is the Waveform cleaner an in floor cleaning system? If so, in floor systems have not had good reviews here.

I just Googled the Hayward Sense and Dispense- if I understand it, its a SWG yet ORP system? ORP systems also have not been recommended often on these boards.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Hi Antispam! Welcome to TFP! This is a wonderful site! It's one of the most active which means you'll probably find more information here than anywhere. I've only been here a short while, and I've learned tons. Also, the experts and newbies have helped me make a lot of decisions on different parts of my pool build. I think you'll find whatever you need here.

Yippee has brought up some good points. And they're a great place to start since you're getting quotes now. You'll want to gather lots of opinions and information; then weigh and measure what works best for your needs and wants.

I am getting a Polaris cleaner, but if I had found this site sooner, I would probably be getting a robot cleaner. They save on electricity and seem to clean better - especially on walls and steps (I have a lot of steps). But... I have mobility issues, so a robot worried me for taking it in and out of the pool. From my research on in-floor cleaners before I found TFP, I found most people did not have good luck with them. Some people, though have specific needs which are met by that type of cleaner.

Do some more research on the ozone and uv sanitation systems. The experts here can better explain why those are probably not the best choice. I'm not great at the technical side of pool equipment. But much of what I take away from this site is that a simpler sanitation system is probably the better way to go - chlorine system or salt water generator system. Adding UV and/or ozone system simply isn't necessary. They primarily are beneficial to a PB and an unnecessary expense to the pool owner.

Pool depth is definitely a personal choice. Yippee does bring up a valid point about the relationship between water depth and temperature. But some people WANT warm water - even those who live in hot climates (hard for me to believe, but those people do exist!!).

My last comment.... I'm always leary of the lowest bid. More often than not, there's a reason it's the lowest bid. And the reasons are not usually good. Maybe run a medium bid by the experts here. That might bring up some more good info.

I hope something here is helpful! I'm glad you came - I learn from everyone! And if you stick around, you might even have some fun! Take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Shallow pools hold a lot less water than deeper pools, which means less caging (rebar), less concrete (gunite), smaller pumps, filters, etc.

Nothing wrong with it if that's what YOU chose, but don't get talked into shallow pool.

At 35' long, that's a decent swimming length, and it would be nice to be able to jump in, but 5' depth will make it illegal to put diving board, and really is too shallow for all but kids to jump in.
    Viking fiberglass Island Breeze II (16'x40'x8'); Pentair pump/filter/heater/chlorinator; IntelliTouch with iX+3; Autelis.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the suggestions. We have kids age 3 and 5. That's the reason I chose 3' to 5'. Maybe increase it to 7' at the deep end..but wife was expressing concerns!
    I travel often for business and this is primarily for kids. Also, travel is the reason I wanted in-ground cleaners. I also have asked for a vacuum line if I want to put in a robot later.
    These are great points to consider. Will discuss this with wife and come to a decision

6. Back To Top    #6

Just remember: Children get older/bigger and learn to swim. At a young age when they're wearing a swim vest or those arm thingies, they bob around the pool no matter how deep, even jumping into the deep end cause they don't go under when wearing those vests. Perhaps the vests and swimmies provide false security, but they soon learn to swim go without. They get bigger and old enough to swim and dive for things in the pool. Cannonballs are a blast in the deep end! Get a group of 10 year olds and their will be some fun in the deep end.
    All I'm trying to say is that your 3 and 5 year old won't stay that age for long. You don't want to be limited down the road.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree, your kids will not always be little and will be bummed when they cant have their friends over to cannonball in etc. 3 ft is very shallow and almost good for nothing in my opinion. Ours is 3.5 (too shallow) to 8' and my 6 year old spends most of her time in the deep end ( with us in of course )
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a 20x40 that goes from 3.5' to 8.5'. I have an 8, 5, and 3 year old that use the pool now. They are all over the pool. The oldest two swim, little brother has a floatie vest thing. Go for as deep as you can and you won't regret it. We have a diving board, and would like to put a slide in eventually. You need deeper water for those two. The kids are always jumping off the diving board. The oldest is also starting to get into diving down for toys. Kids like deep water. I wish ours was at least a foot deeper.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by antispam View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. We have kids age 3 and 5. That's the reason I chose 3' to 5'. Maybe increase it to 7' at the deep end..but wife was expressing concerns!
    I travel often for business and this is primarily for kids. Also, travel is the reason I wanted in-ground cleaners. I also have asked for a vacuum line if I want to put in a robot later.
    These are great points to consider. Will discuss this with wife and come to a decision
    Be sure to carefully determine minimum depth on the deep end.
    There are rules/laws about minimum depth and if you don't meet them, you will not be able to use certain diving boards and/or water slides.

http://www.srsmith.com/media/47241/0...i-standard.pdf

As others said, when it comes to deep end, there is no such thing as too deep.
    Viking fiberglass Island Breeze II (16'x40'x8'); Pentair pump/filter/heater/chlorinator; IntelliTouch with iX+3; Autelis.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Mario for the link. Can someone explain that in layman's terms? If I want an 8' pool, what is the appropriate slope and consumed length?
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

I live in NM, and like AZ, we get a lot of fine dirt/dust in the air. The in-floor cleaning system works great for this, and saves many, many hours of manual vacuuming. It does not work so well on bigger leaves and heavier debris. I find the combination of an auto cover and in-floor system means I almost never have to do any manual cleaning.

Re: your quote, I see it only includes travertine coping, but no decking. Do you plan to want some sort of decking around the pool?
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

12. Back To Top    #12

IMO, the UV system is unnecessary. Think about it....the entire pool will get plenty of UV from the sun!
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

13. Back To Top    #13

if you have 8 foot depth, the safe slope will take I think 24.5 feet if the shallow end is 3 foot. If you have a shallow end of 3.5 feet or 4 feet, then the 24.5 feet will get a bit shorter.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

My suggestion is to think long term. Folks that build their pools for their kids only use it while the kids are little and then they wish they never installed it. Make sure it works for the adults too! A spa to soak in, a Baja step to lounge in. I don't hear about many pools 8 feet deep or more out here. Too much water to heat and so nobody wants to go in. I can't imagine cooling a pool, whaat? Good luck, hope it turns out great!
    10 x 30 lap pool with 6 x 6 foot spa, plus a big Baja step. Depth is 3.5 to 6 ft.

15. Back To Top    #15

Definitely reconsider the depth. Parental supervision is a must with small children regardless of the depth of the water as I'm sure you know. In the long run you will be disappointed with a 5' deep pool.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

16. Back To Top    #16

I keep on seeing in responses that in-floor systems do not get good reviews on this site. I for one have an in-floor system and couldn't be happier with it. I, as well as others, have written great reviews on them. It is fair to say if you have a lot of debris like leaves flying around, you may want a suction side or robot cleaner. I have had three pools over the last 20 years with 2 of them having the suction side cleaner or robot. My current pool that we just built with the in-floor system allows the mosaic to pop without the visual of a cleaner in the pool

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Did you specifically ask for a shallow pool? Such a shallow pool will heat up in your sun. That cooling system will sure be needed.

Is the Waveform cleaner an in floor cleaning system? If so, in floor systems have not had good reviews here.
    I just Googled the Hayward Sense and Dispense- if I understand it, its a SWG yet ORP system? ORP systems also have not been recommended often on these boards.

17. Back To Top    #17

Here's my opinion (DM me if you want specifics) -

1. Ditch the in-floor system and go with a robot

2. Lose the ORP and UV/Ozone system

3. Lose the deck jets

4. Increase pool depth

Use $$$ saved to put in a solid safety auto-cover.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by antispam View Post
    I have a 3 year old that is a fair swimmer. I don't want this to sound terrible, but a child that small can drown in 5' water just as easy as my 9' pool. What are you doing for safety? I installed a KAtchakid net and am very happy with it. I have The PoolCleaner suction side that cleans the pool very well. I never need to manually clean, just brush once a week out of habit.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

19. Back To Top    #19

Our pool goes 3.5 to 5 to 3.5 and is perfect for what we wanted. I don't subscribe to the philosophy that bigger/deeper is always better. There are plenty of threads here and on other forums discussing ideal depths. You just have to do the research and look at what matters most to you. We were lucky in that our friends had a 3.5-5-3.5 pool, so we could draw on that experience.
    16x24 shotcrete pool with plaster; ~ 11,000 gallons; Hayward MaxFlo XL 1 hp pump; Hayward Pro-Series Top Mount Sand Filter; Hayward Turbocell SWG; Hayward ColorLogic LED light; Hayward AquaPlus Automation Panel; TF 100 Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks, everyone. I think we will go for a deeper pool - maybe 3.5 to 8 . One of my neighbors swears by the PV3 infloor cleaning system. As @PoolESQ mentions, we get very few leaves but lot of fine dust. These things are great at pushing dust into the drain. It may not work in areas where leaves are the primary concern, but in AZ, it is the darn dust!
    We do have a large(it) deck area at the far end of the pool .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast