Helping a friend: This should be a good one

... There is what appears to be an overflow ... port in the skimmer? ...

Take a look at the two photos in this post.

Is that second hole in the bottom of the skimmer what you are talking about when you say "overflow"? If so, that second hole most likely goes to the floor drains, and your float valve (aka diverter valve) is missing (see the second photo). Without the float valve, the floor drains are non-operational.

Take a look at the two photos in this post.

Is that second hole in the bottom of the skimmer what you are talking about when you say "overflow"? If so, that second hole most likely goes to the floor drains, and your float valve (aka diverter valve) is missing (see the second photo). Without the float valve, the floor drains are non-operational.

I appreciate the effort in trying to answer my question. That doesn't look like what I see, but it's ok. I think we are good proceeding with the current plan without trying that trick.

- - - Updated - - -

2:30ish Day 2.

WkNVeLe.jpg

FC 9 CC 5

e: test info

We have a couple more 2hr interval tests before calling it a night. Recirc all night, 4hr interval test and add tomorrow.

4p FC 10.5 CC 5

3eRPFLp.jpg

How often are you backwashing when it's on filter-mode vs recirculate?

Post backwash the gauge reads 11-12. When she can watch she backwashes at 15ish. A couple of times we/she got caught doing other stuff and it shot to 20. If she is not able to babysit the gauge it's recirculate only.

Okay good. Wanted to make sure you had that filter going as often as you can. Just curious: what does a glass of pool water look like? Can you see through it?

Leave the glass out and see if you get any precipitate. Again, just curious.

Okay good. Wanted to make sure you had that filter going as often as you can. Just curious: what does a glass of pool water look like? Can you see through it?

Leave the glass out and see if you get any precipitate. Again, just curious.

Interesting. Will advise. (oh god I've bought into corporate speak) What are we looking for?

e: Leave glass inside or outside?

She has reported that sample clarity is quite improved. Will request 2 glasses one inside one out but it would be great to know what we are looking for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got a 45 min "after" picture of the pool water in the glass but I'm not going to bother uploading it. It looks identical i.e. no settling so I am advising dump and ignore. Indoor glass is identical.

Day 3 Updates

Not going to post numbers because they are basically the same every time. FC down 3 CC 4.0-5.5 This is even after moving testing and adding bleach from 2 to 4 hr intervals.

I went at lunch and tested and added and brushed the entire pool. There's still stuff in there, could see big clouds of dust after brushing. Leaf rake got nothing in the bottom on 2 swipes.

I am going to vacuum to waste this afternoon and maybe vacuum in filter mode watching the gauge after noting waste appearance.

This is not a good picture, it was quite cloudy at lunch and it's lighter than it appears. Will report later.
iaO1I3K.png

you mentioned earlier about going higher at night on your FC past SLAM. I would aim to keep your FC at or above the SLAM number 100% of the time. only way to do that is provide a buffer. if your SLAM FC level is 15ppm, then add enough to get to 18 or so, then add more when you hit 15. want to stay at or above that number all the time, especially early on when you are eating a ton of FC. its all about killing time!

Yep. We went to 13-14 just the first night. 12 every time now. Thanks for the reminder though.

I also plan on vacuuming first then testing and adding. No reason to dump a bunch of chlorine in and then just vacuum it out into the yard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.