Concrete pool up north

Not many structures in the USA date from the 17th century. Imagine that here, we would have great difficulties doing ANYTHING to a structure that old, because it would be deemed historically significant and there would be a hard time with the government on any changes to be made to it.

Henry Porter said:
Speaking of contractors I have one at the moment that helps me digging out the last dirt on the poolarea and also transport some masses that I will fill up with. He was suppose to fininsh the job last week but still not finished :shock: What he has accomplished though is to ruin parts of the foundation to our wall that surrounds the pool :hammer: When I saw that the other day after a few days away from home I freaked a little. When I pay to get something done I expect to get a professional job, nothing less than I should have accomplish myself. Is that to much to ask for!!!??.... I swore that I never would hire another contractor again :rant:

You know Henry... I always believed dad when he said:

If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself!

I live by those words to this day.

Lershac said:
Not many structures in the USA date from the 17th century. Imagine that here, we would have great difficulties doing ANYTHING to a structure that old, because it would be deemed historically significant and there would be a hard time with the government on any changes to be made to it.

True, but you forgot the second part of the gov'ts double whammy system - they will give you a hard time about doing anything to the building, but they will also give you a hard time when the building falls over because you DIDN'T do anything to it...

Moral of story - don't buy anything with a "historically significant" sign hanging on it!

Gooserider

I mixed up the century! The house was built in the late 1800 so it's 19th century. Sorry!

Tom! Those two logs came from an old factory here in town that was in the clothing industry. My guess is that cotton loam number 62 was under that log or something like that.

//Mats

Mats,

I would recommend grading (leveling) out the area where you will be pouring your concrete. This will allow it to settle all winter. This will help in reducing cracks.

Remember there are only two kinds of concrete: 1) Already cracked 2) Going to crack

Increasing the thickness will help reduce cracking but the single most important thing is to make plenty of control joints and plan where these should be ahead of time. As you go places around town, look at concrete to see where it tends to crack.

Kevin

Hi Kevin!
I dug out the last dirt last weekend and compact the sand with a machine. I was quite accurate making sure that it was leveled when I first went over it with the machine. Then I covered the whole area with 4" of gravels, I expect the gravel to shrink so I didn't put to much effort to get that 100% accurate. After winter will I level it with a laser so I'm sure to the right thickness of the cast.

I shall not be stubborn and questioning your experience when it comes to concrete and cracks but I have a few things I will do to not make them appear :whoot: It works at least in my mind. If you choose to put out all the rebar’s before placing the boards that decides where the controlling joints will be. If you do so it's good to place a hard tube on those rebar’s that goes under the controlling joints. That way you allow some movement there. Also, place the rebar that are highest on your carpet in the direction that arethe longest that way it take up more stretch in the cast.

A small thing I haven't seen in the average pool deck here on TFP despite 90% I’ve seen are poured concrete decks, is inspection panels in the deck where the joints are. All my plumping is made with a 2" PEM tube with 5mm gods which is freeze proof. And I have inspection panels everywhere where I have a joint, the same goes for the lamps junction boxes. I think that is a good idea that can save you head ache later on.
lids will be made out of dark hardwood that will be placed in the same level as the surrounding pool deck. I actually think that it can give the deck some character.

I did pour the foundation to the shower today! Great to have your own cement mixer :goodjob: The surrounding pool deck will be 4" above the foundation and I fill that distance with white small stones that will surround the little hardwood "thing" that we will stand on while shower. the same hardwood that I will use as for all the inspection lids. I will place the foundation to the kitchen on the same level but I will not fill that gap with stones beacuse I will use it for draining the pool deck, hence the slope I will make to that direction.

I haven't yet cleaned out the pool and neither have I pout on the grout so I couldn’t stand take any pictures of it more than the shot of the stairs that I took from the outside. As you can see have I not finished the tileing around the skimmers.

After this long post ! Endless amount of pictures that not showing anything that you haven't already seen :cheers:

Take care
Mats
[attachment=2:ccazpym8]UpdateIMG_4954.gif[/attachment:ccazpym8][attachment=1:ccazpym8]UpdateIMG_4956.gif[/attachment:ccazpym8][attachment=0:ccazpym8]UpdateIMG_4967.gif[/attachment:ccazpym8]

Attachments

• UpdateIMG_4954.gif
    UpdateIMG_4954.gif
    249 KB · Views: 185
  • UpdateIMG_4956.gif
    UpdateIMG_4956.gif
    275.2 KB · Views: 185
  • UpdateIMG_4967.gif
    UpdateIMG_4967.gif
    260 KB · Views: 189
Three more!

[attachment=2:2gm27vxi]UpdateIMG_4960.gif[/attachment:2gm27vxi][attachment=1:2gm27vxi]UpdateIMG_4962.gif[/attachment:2gm27vxi][attachment=0:2gm27vxi]UpdateIMG_4959.gif[/attachment:2gm27vxi]

Attachments

• UpdateIMG_4960.gif
    UpdateIMG_4960.gif
    200.6 KB · Views: 184
  • UpdateIMG_4962.gif
    UpdateIMG_4962.gif
    201.6 KB · Views: 189
  • UpdateIMG_4959.gif
    UpdateIMG_4959.gif
    178.4 KB · Views: 189
Looks good, and I agree with the inspection port idea (wish my pool had them!) but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to fill them with sand or some other easily removed material once everything is finished and verified leak free. That should give the plumbing better protection against temperature changes, and other such things. It will also keep the holes from filling with water and breeding mosquitos or filling with other debris... If you do need to get access to the pipes later, it wouldn't be that hard to remove the sand.

Gooserider

Matt's,
Good idea that you put a darker color of tile at the end of each stair. I have that on my pool stairs and thank God because otherwise it's hard to discern where each stair ends when water is in the pool. I use a produce called "Cristalin Platinum" in my water that gives the water a blue tint, and makes the water shimmer like a mirror. We really like what it does even though it is very expensive, at least here in Mexico. It is a Algicida, Clarificador, and Biocida all in one. Great job once again on your further work. We all anxiously await your postings and pictures. :goodjob: :cheers: :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:mrgreen: I've read this thread three times now since coming across it last year and continue to be amazed at the workmanship and the fact that Mats takes the time and effort to take pictures and share the entire build with everyone. Gee, we're almost like....family now! :p

Mats, thank you for all your efforts in taking the time to keep us updated, as we know you have plenty to do besides uploading pictures for us! :goodjob:

It's gonna be a loooooong winter! I just can't wait to see this build done! No sense in rushing though Henry! It's worth the wait! :mrgreen:

hehehe! Don't worry I'm comfortable in the role as TFP'S own little silly-billy :shock: Just kidding, I'm aware of the thin line I'm balancing on :cool:
Anyway, Still so tired of the tileing project despite the feeling I have deep inside that I MUST pulll myself together and mount the rest of the glas mosaic before it get to cold. It's so much more inspirational to build the kitchen. I hope I get the time to brick up the sides this week on the newly poured foundation.
And you know what! Pics comes right after it's done :twisted:

Lol Cherie! I let you be in my family if I can be in yours :cool:

//Mats

Cherie you sweet thing, thanks for the invitation. You never know, one day I might be there knocking on your door :cool:

Have worked on the kitchen this weekend and it coming along quite nicely. This kitchen contains three sections, very simple! A sink and a round Weber charcoal grill and a what looks like a big wook pan, heated by gas. The brand I will use is called murrikka steak board. Those items will be built-in, in the concrete bench that I will pour next weekend, if it goes by my plans, seldom does though :cool:
I will colour the concrete to the bench with black ferric oxide powder that I think will looks nice to the bricks that I will paint in a white colour, same as the surrounding walls.

If I had the power to decide everything myself I would have built the kitchen in an angle. But my better half said NO so there were nothing to do than accept :? I think I have done a decent job though talking her into things she never knew she wanted in the first place. If she had everything in her hands there woulden't be a pool in our yard and absolutely not an outdoor kitchen, which she things is totally unnecessary, and "never will be used much" according to her thinking. I can't wait to prove her wrong. Actually! An outdoor kitchen is something I looking forward to very much to have. I love to grill and I suspect I will spend unhealthy amount of time out there :-D Eventually there will be an Oklahoma smooker next to the kitchen, but that is something she doesen't know about. Yet.....[attachment=1:38osxtky]Outdoor kitchenIMG_6189.gif[/attachment:38osxtky][attachment=0:38osxtky]Outdoor kitchenIMG_6191.gif[/attachment:38osxtky]

//Mats

Attachments

• Outdoor kitchenIMG_6189.gif
    Outdoor kitchenIMG_6189.gif
    240.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Outdoor kitchenIMG_6191.gif
    Outdoor kitchenIMG_6191.gif
    269 KB · Views: 183
With all that unhealthy time you'll be in the kitchen, just think, you can swim it off when you're done! Great exercise! :mrgreen:

Mats,
I can guarantee that your wife will love the outdoor kitchen when you are finished (especially if you are the grillmaster)! Our family spent most evenings this summer having dinner poolside, and it was nice to keep the mess out of the house. My dear hubby does most of the cooking anyway, and he loves to grill, so I'm certainly not complaining!
I also want to add that I, too, enjoy watching your pool progress and am always happy to see another new post from Henry Porter! It is very interesting to watch, and we all feel like we have a new pal in Sweden!
(PS ....We won't tell your wife about the smoker...........) :wink:
Debra

Henry Porter said:
I must admit that I'm little surprised that you finds my insignificant little project interesting despite all the overwhelming projects that are posted in here. I hesitated more that once if I should put up a log of my own in here. But I'm very glad I did.

Hey Mats -
You posted this almost a year ago. I likely speak for many when, after 11 pages and counting; and after >5300 page views; I say that we are all delighted that you posted and continue to do so. Keep up the good work. You'll be swimming, cooking and entertaining in your new oasis before you know it :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.