Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGP Light options

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP Light options

So what is everyone lighting their AGP's with? Looking for a return fitting mounted LED but the choices seem slim. The Aqualuminator seems burn out quicker than most people would like. What are my options??
    21' 54" round AGP, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward Aqua Trol HP SWG, Hayward 150 sq ft cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP Light options

I am looking at this right now. Great reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-110-120V...rds=pool+light
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
    I am looking at this right now. Great reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-110-120V...rds=pool+light
    That is what I am using on my Intex, still working great going on the 3rd year, it is lit 24x7 during the season and put away in the shed for winter.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks awesome, however we have a resin wall pool and not a soft intex.
    21' 54" round AGP, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward Aqua Trol HP SWG, Hayward 150 sq ft cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

As you have found out. Pickings are slim. We started with a nitelighter. It's an over the wall. The transformer lasted a few years. We now have the multi color one. Just wish they made them in LED. I looked at the return lights but I think I am too lazy to drop the level and install one.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah its frustrating not being able to find a decent led light for above ground pools. There really aren't any good choices.

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought an earlier version of this light 5 years ago. We don't use it very often, but have been happy with it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-980010-F...ed+pool+lights
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

8. Back To Top    #8

I just installed RGB LED tape light on the underside of my resin top rail and it looks awesome.

It was a bit tricky to install because where the 2 top rails meet at the post, the pool wall is in the way and you can't install the leds. So I used a dremmel to cut a notch in the top rail. This notch allowed me to run the leds inside the resin top rail. I ran inside that rail, under the post cap, into the 2nd top rail, then out another notch, where u can continue to run the leds. Do the same at the next post.

I'm ordering another 15' this week. When I do that install I will take some pics.

15' did about 3 and a half top rails... heres a video of 1 rail, or approx. 4''.

Led pool light - YouTube
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Trick View Post
    I just installed RGB LED tape light on the underside of my resin top rail and it looks awesome.

It was a bit tricky to install because where the 2 top rails meet at the post, the pool wall is in the way and you can't install the leds. So I used a dremmel to cut a notch in the top rail. This notch allowed me to run the leds inside the resin top rail. I ran inside that rail, under the post cap, into the 2nd top rail, then out another notch, where u can continue to run the leds. Do the same at the next post.

I'm ordering another 15' this week. When I do that install I will take some pics.

15' did about 3 and a half top rails... heres a video of 1 rail, or approx. 4''.

Led pool light - YouTube
    I am doing exactly the same thing, I have 120 feet of IP68 12v LED strips... while not an "approved" method it will be awesome

I used these type lights and did the same install in my front room..

Crazy Lights LED indirect lighting for the ceiling. - YouTube
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

That is pretty awesome! I might have to go that route. I really like it

11. Back To Top    #11

Led pool light - YouTube
    Please post some pics when it's all done. Sounds awesome.

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought a Nightlighter Multi color. I did have to modify it a bit since my walls are more than 1.5 inches wide. However, I am pretty happy with it so far. The blue and green colors are probably the best. There are mixed reviews on it, but with AGP lights, the choices are limited.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

13. Back To Top    #13

We have a pentair quasar.

Amazon.com : Pentair Quasar Aboveground Pool Light and Water Return with Color Lenses : Swimming Pool Lighting Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

Its a solid 'ok' light. Not really powerful enough to fully illuminate a 24ft pool.
    24ft round AG, ~13k gal. Hayward power-flo matrix 1hp pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

I found some magnetic lights at Walmart last year. a two pack for $10. they are blue and battery operated, with all their other pool supplies. They are good made night time swimming easier to be able to see in the water. they have a remote so you can put them in the middle or the bottom of the pool and be able to turn them off from the outside of the pool through the wall. I have two going get a couple more packs this summer to have 6 in my 30' round. AFTER I get all the dead algae out of it ha.
    21,200 gallon/ 30' vinyl round above ground pool/ 200# hayward sand filter/1.5 hp hayward pump (70gl/m) /
    /self installed pool about 3 years ago - Smithfield, VA- Pool filled with well water -TF100 kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by bighendy View Post
    Looks awesome, however we have a resin wall pool and not a soft intex.
    Magnetism and induction power works just as well through resin as it does through vinyl. It won't work on metal walled pools, but any other above ground pool with non metallic walls it will work.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

16. Back To Top    #16

30' of LEd tape light installed. Probably will have $75 invested.
    https://youtu.be/_GPBs7j59UI
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

30' of LEd tape light installed. Probably will have $75 invested.
    https://youtu.be/_GPBs7j59UI
    That is awesome
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

18. Back To Top    #18

I have an Aqualuminator and I have had my current bulb for 2 years now. You HAVE to take them out in the winter - which is a bit of a pain, as when you take the bulb out, it opens the back of the fitting up, so it will not hold water. I use a rubber stopper in mine. Once I had ice pull the stopper out over the winter, and my pool drained down to the return.

The light is OK - nothing spectacular. In my 27' round ABG it lights up most of the pool. It's not super bright, but it gets the water glowing,

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

19. Back To Top    #19

The led tape lights are cheap and easy to use. I have done my Durango interior in them and also use them on my boat. They make a waterproof version also. 12v so not much to worry about either. For my the sticky back side is worthless though you'll need a better mounting option then that. Maybe some glue of some sort.

Amazon.com: SUPERNIGHT (TM) 16.4ft 5M Waterproof Flexible 300leds Color Changing RGB SMD5050 LED Light Strip Kit RGB 5M +24Key Remote+12V Power Supply: Home Improvement

24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

20. Back To Top    #20

I second the Walmart magnetic lights. They work great (remote not so much), just don't leave them in the pool for an extended period. Last year water got in mine and corroded everything. But for $5 a light they are disposable. I tried the NL-100 night lighter but my top rail would not fit over the light hook.
    24' X 54" round AGP with Uni-Bead Portofino Liner - 25 Gauge, partially in-ground. Hayward Perflex EC-40 D.E. Filter System 1-HP Power-Flo Pump. Installed Spring 2014.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast