Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this how this is supposed to look?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this how this is supposed to look?

It's driving me crazy and maybe it's just some Ocd setting in but isnt this supposed to be straight?

Also we had some issues with the electrician they put the sub panel right next to our fence making it considered easily climable and would fail our inspection so today they came out and moved it and this was their fix it looks horrible!
    ( Under Construction) (May, 11th 2015 start date) 25' x 16' free-form, IG shotcrete, Blue Granite pebble sheen, travertine with stacked stone sheer descent, Hayward variable speed pump,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this how this is supposed to look?

If by straight, you are talking about the expansion joints in your concrete, They look fine to me.

Your electrical needs to be done right, and that definitely ISN'T. Call the electrician back and make him install a proper support for it!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

On the expansion joint, from that picture it doesn't look the best. Though it does need to be looked at in the entirety of the deck. Truly it should aligned with the shadows cast by the railings at solar midday on the summer solstice if your really want to set off your OCD issues. Others won't notice but you will though that that will likely fade too.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree that install doesn't look super great. It looks to be rigid pipe stabbed in the ground.

Moving electrical is always an issue. You plan ahead and install it once. Its usually never as good the 2nd time. I'm curious of the 1st install, how it looked and why it being next to a fence wouldn't pass inspection. No one will be climbing on your electrical. ... i guess from the shadow in the first pic its some kind of metal fence and a burglar could use it as a step to get over? Electricians have many codes to follow unless they are told your concerns beforehand they are concentrating on all real requirements and not trivial 'what ifs'.
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

5. Back To Top    #5

I feel like they did it on purpose because we made them come back and move it and have it meet code. When I messaged pool builder and said how unhappy I was with the "fix" the response was "sorry it meets code"

6. Back To Top    #6

That "revised "electrical panel looks shoddily done and stupid. They must have been having a 2 for 1 sale that day. I wouldn't be happy at all.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Generally people leave it up to the electrician to make the call on location and the mounting. If so, there's a risk to that as you can see. I built my own multipurpose wall to mount electrical and such on. Kind of like not documenting all specs in contract. Actually I said in the the contract that I would be building the. wall. I'm not trying to show you up, just putting it out there for others at this point.
    Stinks they have that lack of craftsmanship (or perhaps their stick-it-to-you attitude).
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

I wouldn't sweat the expansion joint, but I couldn't accept the electric panel. It is going to be a cluster if you ever need to work on the plumbing.
    16x24 shotcrete pool with plaster; ~ 11,000 gallons; Hayward MaxFlo XL 1 hp pump; Hayward Pro-Series Top Mount Sand Filter; Hayward Turbocell SWG; Hayward ColorLogic LED light; Hayward AquaPlus Automation Panel; TF 100 Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Here's another picture

10. Back To Top    #10

Expansion joint, I see what you are talking about, I too would have preferred a strait line, but to anyone else no big, that's why I specify everything. The electric panel, no way, that's not acceptable.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cbrach411 View Post
    Here's another picture
    They should of put that electrical out of the way, maybe next to the fence....
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

12. Back To Top    #12

Does your neighbor have a pool? The code for climbing only applies to people climbing in, not out. We originally had issues, because our city code did not allow the panel to be within a certain distance from shared common fence (ie. property line). Our panel would have been floating in the air directly in front of the plumbing, just like yours is. We ended up getting a waiver from our planning department, because common sense says that it would be a lot more secure and safe mounted to a cinder block wall. First time I ever heard of city planning using common sense.

Also, concrete looks fine and will probably not be noticed once the water goes in.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

13. Back To Top    #13

What are the supports? 2 galvanized pieces of pipe wrapped in 10 mil tape, stubbed up? Looks really crappy tbh. Is there a reason why they didn't attach it to the house?
    13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread

14. Back To Top    #14

I think there is a bit in the NEC code that does not allow electrical boxes to be mounted by metal conduit. Try quoting them NEC article 370-23 or 110-12 "Mechanical Execution of Work. Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner"

Electricians love to say something does or does not meet code, but hate it when people quote NEC code to them.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

15. Back To Top    #15

i had to read your post and look at pics 3 times to try to see what was wrong, so that's a good sign. now that i figured out u r talking about the wall, i guess it may seem like it goes down on the right a bit. hard to say what it looks like in real life. i'd be disappointed but i'm big on plants so that'd be an easy fix for me as i'd plan on planting some greenery in front of it anyway. if u do that i don't think the eye will ever go to the wall. i just took down some olianders (having a heck of a time killing them, too, as they are under the block wall). i never knew the wall had so many imperfections until i took them down!

- - - Updated - - -

and to validate u, i've been frustrated, too, with the pb not caring about what i want and trying to get by with whatever. with the amount that i manage the job and catch mistakes, sometimes i wish i would've managed the whole job! although, i like the warranty and backing from the pb
    40' x 12' IG shotcrete (3 1/2' 5, 4'), Hayward variable spd pumpSP3400VSP, Paramount PV3 in-floor, venturi skimmer, 14,400 glns, Hayward Turbo salt cell T Cell-15, UV, Hayward DE filter, model DE4820, 2 Hayward Color Logic 320 LED color lights, Hayward P4 w puck. 2" line to in-floor valve (46'), deck mount canister parascoping fountain, leaf canister, Marbella, pebble. new build 6-24-15

16. Back To Top    #16

What bothers me is the electrical conduit is run against the plumbing pipe. If you ever worked on the plumbing it would be in the way. Why didn't they put it next to the house?
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsgal View Post
    i had to read your post and look at pics 3 times to try to see what was wrong, so that's a good sign. now that i figured out u r talking about the wall, i guess it may seem like it goes down on the right a bit. hard to say what it looks like in real life. i'd be disappointed but i'm big on plants so that'd be an easy fix for me as i'd plan on planting some greenery in front of it anyway. if u do that i don't think the eye will ever go to the wall. i just took down some olianders (having a heck of a time killing them, too, as they are under the block wall). i never knew the wall had so many imperfections until i took them down!

- - - Updated - - -

and to validate u, i've been frustrated, too, with the pb not caring about what i want and trying to get by with whatever. with the amount that i manage the job and catch mistakes, sometimes i wish i would've managed the whole job! although, i like the warranty and backing from the pb
    I think she is talking about the expansion joint.

20150602_173743_zpsdnauf935.jpg
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

18. Back To Top    #18

so this is how they had the electric originally which will not meet code plus my children can very easily climb that to get over the fence.

- - - Updated - - -
    ( Under Construction) (May, 11th 2015 start date) 25' x 16' free-form, IG shotcrete, Blue Granite pebble sheen, travertine with stacked stone sheer descent, Hayward variable speed pump,

19. Back To Top    #19

The expansion joint doesn't look good from just the one pic you posted, but if you look at the overhead shot from your build thread, it seems to flow with the rest of the joints in your deck. I think it looks good overall.

The electrical. . .not so much. Looks like it was something done by an apprentice just learning electric work.
    13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread

20. Back To Top    #20

So we tried to fight the pool builder on the electric and they basically said all we have to do is allow you to meet code nothing further sorry it looks bad the electrician said there were no other options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast